XII

━━━━━━❰·❉·❱━━━━━━

━━━━━━❰·❉·❱━━━━━━

~ VINUM ET MUSICA LAETIFICANT COR ~

AMBERLE'S POV

"June 29th..." I murmured as I crossed off the date on my makeshift calendar.

Since the start of my time here in 1994, I'd been counting down the days in the hopes it would help me stay connected to the real world. But this day in particular had been circled in advance to remind me of its importance, a message written inside the square:

'Enzo's birthday.'

Sighing softly, I rubbed my face in frustration. After the night I'd been attacked by the Shadow Realm, I'd decided to take a break from practising any darkness manipulation in order to recharge and prepare myself in case it happened again. But somehow, if anything, I felt worse than before.

It was like I had some kind of parasite - the more I tried to eat or sleep it away, the more it drained me.

However, no matter how exhausted I was, today was all about Enzo and I'd be damned if I let him down. Determined not to allow whatever was going on with my body to ruin my plans, I forced myself to get a grip and do everything possible to make the day special.

After brushing my teeth and hoping a shower would refresh me, I scrubbed my body and hair, grateful I'd at least found the energy to shave my legs last night. I covered my face and neck in make-up like clockwork, hiding the corpse underneath. I then put on a pair of ripped jeans and an oversized hoodie, finishing off with some perfume and throwing my hair up in a claw clip.

Once the laces of my sneakers were tied, I hurried downstairs, eager to get started. Making my way into the kitchen, I grinned at Enzo who was sitting at the breakfast bar, stereotypically drinking a cup of tea and eating crumpets.

"Hey," I greeted him, grabbing a carton of apple juice out of the fridge.

He eyed me suspiciously with a smirk. "Someone's sprightly this morning."

"Busy day ahead," I replied easily before chugging some juice. "Gonna get some groceries."

Placing down his mug, Enzo made a move to stand up. "I'll come with you-"

"Ah, nope, nope!" I cut him off, holding up my palms as a hint for him to remain in his seat. "You stay right there, Mister." Offering him a reassuring smile, I said, "Just relax. I can handle it."

He frowned. "I spend every day doing nothing, at least let me-"

I pointed warningly at him as I headed towards the key rack. "Stay."