XVIII

━━━━━━❰·❉·❱━━━━━━

━━━━━━❰·❉·❱━━━━━━

~ UBI CONCORDIA, IBI VICTORIA ~

AMBERLE'S POV

A few days later, just after lunch, the Boarding House felt quiet... too quiet.

It was only when I realised Kai was nowhere to be seen that I figured out why.

As if reading my mind, he suddenly stepped into the living room with a backpack slung over his shoulder, peering between my and Enzo's confused faces from the couch.

"Moving out already?" Enzo questioned teasingly with an arched brow. "Or trekking through the Alps?" He sipped his tea with a shrug. "Good news either way."

Ignoring Enzo's comments, Kai instead grinned at me. "Training starts today."

"Really?" I asked with a soft, excited gasp as I sat up straighter. "What are we doing?"

He leaned against the back of the couch. "First of all, we need to go somewhere filled with happy memories - a positive association."

"Like the high school?"

"Bigger than that," he said with a shake of his head. "It sounds like your school years were good to you, but you spent most of your time there with just your friends, right?" Kai dropped his bag near his feet. "It has to be a place that also includes your family... somewhere that feels like home."

"Your house?" Enzo offered, his input taking me slightly by surprise.

"Um... no," I murmured awkwardly. "Believe it or not, I actually have some pretty bad memories attached to that house," I admitted. "Plus, my family and I were always too busy to spend much time there together."

Kai straightened up, moving around the couch. "Come on, Amber, think. There's gotta be something better than Mystic Falls High."

It took me a few moments to brainstorm before an idea finally came to me. "I know just the place," I announced, glancing between the boys. When they stared at me patiently waiting for an explanation, I said, "The lakehouse."

Kai snapped his fingers. "Bingo!" He smiled proudly at me before instructing, "Pack your bags. We're going on a trip for a few days."

Enzo and I both stood up, heading towards the hallway. Before we could get far, however, Kai stepped in front of Enzo, holding up a palm to stop him in his tracks.