I

━━━━━━❰·❉·❱━━━━━━

━━━━━━❰·❉·❱━━━━━━

~ MEMENTO MORI ~

AMBERLE'S POV

"Stay with me! Please, Amber! Come on, stay with me!"

I'd never been able to ignore the allure of darkness.

When everyone else ran from danger, I headed straight towards it.

It's what made my career choice so obvious; the rush of surviving something so terrifying; the relief of saving another person's life.

Becoming a paramedic - well, a paramedic currently in training - had been my number one priority since I was ten years old. Over the years, I'd done everything within my mortal power to keep my loved ones safe. To help them and protect them in any way possible.

Most of my friends were supernatural, sure, but that didn't mean I wouldn't try my best to play my part in being a hero. Just like them.

Being from one of the founding families of Mystic Falls had definitely given me the upper hand. Like knowing about the existence of vampires before most of my peers had even experienced their first kiss, for example. Or wearing a necklace filled with vervain to our sixth-grade school dance, and when people asked what was in it, telling them, "Oh, it's just a herb."

Mom and Dad may have been young parents, but they'd done an excellent job in keeping me safe for the past two decades. And when my little sister Violet had finally come along, they'd already moulded me into the soldier they'd needed me to be in order to take care of myself so they could focus on the next one.

"We're Fells," Dad would tell me on repeat. "We don't quit. We don't surrender."

He wasn't wrong. Our family was huge - most of my relatives I hadn't even seen, never mind spoken to - but there was one common trait amongst us all.

We wanted to help others.

Some of us were reporting investigators, some were doctors. A reverend here, a community squad leader there. Notorious busy-bodies, and almost always members of the Founder's Council.

In a way, you could say it was in my blood.

So I guess that's why the second I realised that my friend was in trouble, my body moved completely by instinct and jumped in the way to save her.

And therefore why I got myself killed.

❰·❉·❱