XXXIV

━━━━━━❰·❉·❱━━━━━━

━━━━━━❰·❉·❱━━━━━━

~ UT DESINT VIRES, TAMEN EST LAUDANDA VOLUNTAS ~

KAI'S POV

For two weeks I stayed under the radar.

From what I'd heard, the sheriff had put out an APB on a "super-charged serial killer named Kai Parker."

AKA, me.

So I laid low, keeping out of the spotlight, wearing disguises, avoiding certain buildings with security cameras, et cetera. I switched between Mystic Falls and its surrounding towns, depending on my needs at the time.

Amber's father seemed to have a personal vendetta against me, spending every working hour running patrols on the lookout for the guy who ruined his daughter's life.

Whoops, I guess?

But after fourteen whole days had gone by, and I was still no closer to merging, I grew impatient. The twins couldn't hide from me forever.

It was time for Plan B — B as in boyfriend.

So on a Thursday evening, while the house was empty, I broke into the Lockwood Mansion using a pair of bobby pins.

Hearing the click of the lock, I opened the door and stepped inside. "Hello?" I called into the gigantic building, just to make sure. "Anybody home?"

The only response I received was that of my echoing voice bouncing back off the high walls.

With a grin, I strolled into the living room, spotting a table filled with multiple bottles of alcohol. Scanning the label of each one, I decided on the gin, grabbing a cocktail glass and pouring the transparent liquid inside.

Keeping the bottle in my grip, I made my way over to the armchair in the corner and sat down, getting comfortable. In the dark, I waited, occasionally sipping from my drink.

After around twenty minutes had passed, the sound of keys jingling in the lock alerted me to the homeowner's return. Realising the door wasn't locked as it should've been, Tyler Lockwood entered the house immediately on edge, peering around in search of an attacker.

Taking one last sip of my drink, I stood up, making my presence known. "I think gin gets a bad rap," I commented, approaching him.

Finally noticing me, Tyler immediately dropped his gym bag and leapt towards me. Already expecting his reaction, I smashed the almost-empty bottle of gin against the wall, the remaining liquid spraying onto the floor from the impact, and pressed the jagged edge against Tyler's throat.

He fought against me but I grabbed the back of his neck to hold him in place, the glass only centimetres away from slicing his skin.

"I'd rather not kill you," I whispered, "but I will."