16/20

ᴄʜᴇꜱꜱ

My eyes narrowed as Sebastian quickly made his move. I was in quite an intense chess match, despite winning 3 times by now. I was getting anxious about losing- especially when I talked so much crap. I had no choice but to win once more and rub it in Seb's face; if I didn't I would never live it down.

I scrubbed the side of my face with my left hand my brows furrowed. The trimmed grass beneath me itched at my skin, a large oak tree we sat beneath hid us from the sun. Beams of light could only peak through lush leaves warming my back pleasantly. 

"Getting nervous are we?" Sebastian teased, he placed his head into his palm with a feline grin tugging at his lips, "In your dreams Sallow!" I snorted.  After my turn had ended I waited patiently taking a moment to scratch my leg. It occurs to me now that it would have been a better idea to wear pants instead of shorts.

"You're up." He winked his eyes gleaming with pride and confidence of his move. I looked down at the board, I smiled at what I saw. "Oh Seb, Seb, Seb." I had pretended to be disappointed shaking my head like an ashamed mother. The boy's eyes widened looking back down at the board frantically, his confidence seemingly melting away.

"Shit," he cursed, I knocked his piece off with a chortle, "that's checkmate handsome" I replied. If possible- Sebastian's eyes widened locking with mine as a tinge of pink spread onto his cheeks. Had he been blushing?! I shook the thought away beginning to pack up the magical chessboard.

"What did you have in mind for the rest of the evening?" I questioned, zipping up my muggle backpack I'd brought from home, I glanced back at Sebastian who seemed a bit lost in his own mind. I took his daydream state as an excuse to check him out, I had to admit he was rather pretty.

"Uhm, well I was just thinking you could read me one of those muggle books" Sebastian babbled, his eyes glued to his hands fiddling as if he had been embarrassed, "sure Seb, the one before?" I asked, pulling out a book of poetry with a hard red cover, "Er- yeah" he nodded.

I scooted up towards the tree until my back hit the cold bark. Giving him a small welcoming smile I patted the space between my legs. He looked a bit hesitant, I couldn't help but wonder if someone ever had given him physical affection. Pure love and wholesome attention, I thought that's what everyone wanted. 

I snapped back into reality when a soft pressure rested on my stomach. I looked down and smiled at Sebastian, his eyes were closed looking quite relaxed and comfortable. I opened the book and began to read line to line, I paused for a moment admiring the boy's freckled face.

"Not falling asleep on me are we?" I whispered quietly, lowering myself so that only his ears could hear, "of course not love" he mumbled back. My stomach flipped, his eyes were still closed a small grin resting on his lips. I swear to Merlin he knows what he does to me, that's why he does what he does. 

I shook my head softly with a snort continuing on with another poem. As if a reflex my hand made its way to his soft brown hair combing my fingers through it. For the second time, I paused mid-poem when a warm hand met mine.

The soft hand belonged to Sebastian, our fingers intertwined with one another. "Feeling tired already?" I spoke softly, mocking him while he brought our hands to rest on his stomach, "maybe just a little bit" he chuckled.

"Would you mind if I did?" he quizzed, I placed the book on the cool forest green grass leaning my head back onto the tree, "not at all" I murmured.