Chapter Fifteen

The lights were warm, and the town was buzzing with people, both couples and friends as lively as any normal town would be for a time of celebration. The smell was strong, scents of humans danced in harmonious lines, the smell alone could make any demon's mouth water for the delicacy that Akaza had to resist for multiple hours, but was that truly something he wasn't used to?

" You ok? "

Kyojuro being his usual worry body, questioning the obliviously zoned-out Akaza, his brain was all sorts of buzzed from the smells, the human food was the only thing making this whole thing tolerable right now if it wasn't for his stupid attachment to this Hashira he would decimate the whole town.

" Yes, it's just been a while since I've seen so many people in one spot. "

Akaza's face perked into a smirk as he turned his head with a slight tilt to his chin. That inch difference in height still pissed Akaza off. He could handle a few inches of difference but the single inch made him angry beyond his years.

"Ah, being stuck to a night schedule would do that wouldn't it!"

Kyojuro has his usual sun-inducing smile, Akaza swears that it's also really creepy who has the capacity to smile without a break. Though there was also a comfort he found within the other's smiles, like a silent vow for those to not worry, As a Hashira, maybe a vow to protect the people weaker than him.

There was a waiver in Akaza's face so subtle it was almost not even there; Akaza forgot one major problem, this guy was a Hashira, and he was an Upper moon, what a cruel world this is for him to make friends with the guy he would have to kill, perhaps there was a chance to convince him to become an uppermoon. Who was Akaza kidding though with his sweet lies, Kyojuro was too headstrong to even consider being one. Akaza knew the truth; he just didn't want to acknowledge his own mistakes, leaving him vulnerable to a relationship that would kill him in the end.

"Being confined to nights has had an affect on my sociability."

Akaza teased at his words, he means surely this Hashira trusts him by now, why wouldn't he— they have been together for a while now, yet he still feels like the same questions are being repeated. What really would Akaza be able to do, he lost to his feelings he still lost to being pitiful and weak.

"Are you sure you are fine Hakuji— you seem more spaced than your typical! I mean we can always settle for staying home and just chatting and watching the fireworks from my family estate!"

Kyojuro tilted to look his companion in the eyes but all he saw was a fog like he was deep in thought— as Kyojuro was ready to pipe up once again he watched Hakujis' eyes simply clear in a matter of seconds. What he saw was truly a sight the eyes of a light sadness of a misty night where you only had the light in your hand to guide you through an abyss you created for yourself suddenly cleared into a nice sky view, Kyojuro had never noticed but his counterpart's eyes were truly a sight to behold in sorrow and in joy. There was always a story to tell that resides in the face and Kyojuro can see Hakujis' from within his eyes. Whether it was a sea he had to cross of the fierce lashing of a volcano— Kyojuro will protect him, something had wounded this boy's soul.

"No, this is fine, thank you for taking me— but rather than staring at me perhaps taking me out will be more entertaining?"

Kyojuro didn't realize he had been staring for so long, he went to take a small gander but his instincts truly betrayed him as he became infatuated with the boy's eyes. Kyojuro cleared his throat in a fit of embarrassment, holding the others hand up to his face forgetting their interlocking hands. Slamming his hand back down, Kyojuro's unwavering smile finally wavered in a fit of anxiety and embarrassment as nothing but his ears turned the brightest red they could.

"Ah— umm yes I. I apologize. Hakuji—"

Akaza's face was one of pure amusement as he gave a graced bow with only his head leading his held hand out for the other.

"Then lead the way oh great and fearless Hashira."

Akaza once more tease, his favorite thing to do to the poor Hashira— he makes it so easy for Akaza so why wouldn't he take the chances

Kyojuro follows the other's command with little to no question as it was clear on his choices. Kyojuro, however, did recognize that many wouldn't accept the two men holding hands, so he played it off as him dragging the other around. Station to stall they went Kyojuro paying for any and all of the things Akaza could ever want.

Akaza came upon one stall that completely intrigued him as he watched parents of kids buy their children masks of mock demons, like oni or kitsunes. Akaza sat and stared for a moment completely still feeling only a slight pull on his hand as Kyojuro also came to a halt to follow Akaza's gaze also landing on the masks of mock demons.

"Do you like them Hakuji?"

Akaza snaps from his trance to look at the Hashira, unable to read his face but that wasn't uncommon since his face almost never changed. He shouldn't say yes, he knows the other wouldn't like the idea of wearing a demon's covering for the day— but there was a chance he would allow it.

"Is it wrong? To wish to wear a mask of your enemy— Kyojuro indulge in me just tonight. Will you join me on the dark side?"

Akaza's lips quirked into an almost sinister-looking grin, but there was an awful lot of tease under his words. His eyes grazed every part of his face trying desperately to read the Hashira but with no words, he simply guided Akaza to the booth.

"I do not condone this behavior but I will indulge in it for just one night! So. pick. "

Akaza let a moment of weakness show as he beams, picking out a blue oni mask. Kyojuro getting a nine-tail fox mask to match hanging the masks upon their heads slightly adjacent, messing their hair up a bit as it becomes wild and free as the masks take over the hairs' original placement.

"Let's go get a spot to watch the fireworks!"

Kyojuro exclaims after lightly brushing through the other's hair, before Akaza can even speak he is being dragged by the arm past the many stalls of the festival. He seems to take them far away but Akaza trusted Kyojuro's judgment as he was being dragged behind back and having a long and treacherous walk up to the top of a cliff with two trees on either side making a perfect arch.

"Wow—"

The only word that was even to be muttered from Akazas mouth as he came upon this wondrous sight, the night contrasted to the warm of the small town, the lights sat like little fireflies in a field long forgotten with grass sprouting taller than your eyes the world only seeming surreal as you fall prey to the mystics of the world you exist in. It could almost be compared to the dark woods so densely closing all forms of sunlight from penetrating the leafy foliage and the sparks that dance among the dark in glorious harmony.

Kyojuro takes a seat on the rocks in front of him and Akaza while Akaza is aghast staring at the beauty only to snap back to reality a little later to join Kyojuro as the sun finishes setting from the purple in the sky to the true night and the moon rises, the small portion of that day where truly the moon and sun share the sky to dance and enjoy each other's presence.

"I wish— I plead this night would last forever."

Kyojuro was unaware but Akaza had to leave that night for business of the upper moons. He really wished he could stay in this man's comfort for the rest of Kyojuro's days. The fireworks only brought them closer as their heads lay on one another prepared to sleep out in this nighttime together, Akazas eyes becoming misted from the familiar feeling of the fireworks as Kyojuro only silently coaxed him. This was their bliss.

Not too far away hiding perfectly a pair of gleaming rainbow eyes poked from the shrubs of the leaves. His stone face slowly turning up into a toothy grin his fangs practically protruding from his face as he disappears, just as he arrived unnoticed he left unnoticed.

~

1485 Words

Erhvdjjvd

Is my editor for this book please annoy the shit outta him for me :)