Please Read

Hello everyone. I hope 2023 has brought you many joys so far.

Unfortunately I would like to talk about a matter that's not the greatest, so reader discretion is advised. Please read all of it to understand the situation. There will be images ahead.

 There will be images ahead

_____

"The death toll from the head-on collision of two trains in central Greece has risen to at least 40 people, with many more missing, according to the state broadcaster, while several of those wounded remained in a critical condition.

On Wednesday afternoon, the Hellenic Broadcasting Corporation (ERT) reported that 50-60 people were still unaccounted for after the crash in the town of Tempe.

Later in the day, the Greek transport minister, Kostas Karamanlis, submitted his resignation, saying it was “the least he could do to honour the memory of the victims”, and lamenting the state’s “longstanding failures”.

Making the announcement after visiting Tempe, Karamanlis highlighted the sorry state of Greece’s railways, bluntly saying they belonged to another era.

“It is a fact that we took stock of the Greek railroads in a state that did not befit the 21st century. In these three and a half years [since the Kyriakos Mitsotakis administration assumed power], we have made every effort to improve this reality.

The trains – a passenger service travelling from Athens to the northern city of Thessaloniki, and a cargo train on its way from Thessaloniki to Larissa – collided head-on outside the town of Tempe shortly before midnight on Tuesday. The train carrying 342 passengers and 10 staff had set off from the Greek capital four hours earlier.

Many of the victims were students in the first two carriages, which sustained the full force of the impact of the crash and had been “almost completely destroyed”. The second carriage served as the train’s canteen.

The crash was being called the worst train accident in living memory in Greece, with the cause of the collision attributed, at least initially, to “human error”. The two trains are thought to have travelled along the same track for 2-3km before they met head-on.

ERT reported that the stationmaster in charge of the railway at Larissa had been arrested."
(Credits to The Guardian for the above information)

_______

I'm heartbroken. Last year I took that route a lot, to travel to my boyfriend in Athens, while I live in Thessaloniki. This could have been me, or him, or even you while visiting the country.

I know people who have lost friends, siblings even parents. 80% of passengers were people under 30 years old. And most people who died, will never go home to their families,  their friends. People with so much potential, so many dreams and their life ahead of them. All gone.

The Greek government won't help. It is a crime.

Ο λαός σώσει τον λαό.  (The common people save each other.)

"Πάμε και όπου μας βγάλει."