15. The Final Task

At last, the twenty fourth of June had arrived. Between this time, nothing exciting had happened as everyone was way too busy either studying or —as you would do with the twins and Lee— pranking other students relentlessly. You and Fred were yet to have something going on because every time you tried to have some alone time with each other, you'd be interrupted by George's and Lee's voices calling Fred or Ginny's and Astrid's calling yours. Even worse when all the teachers gave you more and more homework to work upon, making you more tired and more busy by the minute.

McGonagall had asked you to walk Harry through the final task since he had no one but you and maybe because she didn't trust Moody the way Dumbledore trusted him. You, of course, had accepted the offer and wouldn't miss saying good luck to Harry and the other champions.

The stands had begun to fill, the air was full of excited voices and the rumbling of feet as the hundreds of students filed into their seats. The sky was a deep, clear blue now, and the first stars were starting to appear. Hagrid, Professor Moody, Professor McGonagall, and Professor Flitwick came walking into the stadium and approached Bagman, the champions and the champions' families. They were wearing large, red, luminous stars on their hats, all except Hagrid, who had his on the back of his moleskin vest.

"We are going to be patrolling the outside of the maze," said Professor McGonagall to the champions. "If you get into difficulty, and wish to be rescued, send red sparks into the air, and one of us will come and get you, do you understand?"

The champions nodded.

"Off you go, then!" said Bagman brightly to the four patrollers.

"Good luck, Harry," you whispered and hugged him tightly. You moved to also say good luck to the other champions; first Cedric who gave you the biggest hug, Fleur who gave you a kiss on the cheek just like she did at the second task and Krum who just shook your hand and nodded.

The four of them walked away in different directions, to station themselves around the maze. Bagman now pointed his wand at his throat, muttered, "Sonorus." and his magically magnified voice echoed into the stands.

You joined the rest of the Weasley family there, sitting between Bill and Fred.

"Ladies and gentlemen, the third and final task of the Triwizard Tournament is about to begin! Let me remind you how the points currently stand! Tied in first place, with eighty-five points each —
Mr. Cedric Diggory and Mr. Harry Potter, both of Hogwarts School!"

The cheers and applause sent birds from the Forbidden Forest fluttering into the darkening sky.

"In second place, with eighty points — Mr. Viktor Krum, of Durmstrang Institute!"

More applause. "And in third place — Miss Fleur Delacour, of Beauxbatons Academy!"

You could just make out Harry's tiny figure from halfway up the stands. He waved up at you all, and you waved back, beaming at him.

"So...on my whistle, Harry and Cedric!" said Bagman.

"Three — two — one —"

He gave a short blast on his whistle, and Harry and Cedric hurried forward into the maze. Next up, Krum and Fleur followed. The champions were no longer seen as the tall and thick maze had swallowed them further and further.

Anticipation had built up but Bill's words of reassurance and Fred's arm around you made you feel safe and sure that everyone and specifically Harry, would make it out safe and sound.

After what felt like hours, a red spark was seen from the middle of the maze. Somebody had casted Perriculum, you thought. The fear and anxiety had now returned and the thought of it being Harry made you more terrified that it should. At last, Fleur had immerged from the maze, McGonagall, Hagrid and Madame Maxine on her side. Turning your head to your left, you could see Bill thinking about whether he should go and see if she's okay or not. Smiling, you put your hand on his shoulder.