22. Detention

"What’s the matter?" asked Hermione five minutes later, catching up with
Harry and Ron halfway across the common room as they all headed toward breakfast. "You look absolutely — oh for heaven’s sake."

She was staring at the common room notice board, where a large new sign
had been put up.

GALLONS OF GALLEONS!
Pocket money failing to keep pace with your outgoings?
Like to earn a little extra gold?
Contact Fred and George Weasley or (Y/n) Black Gryffindor common room, for simple, part-time, virtually painless jobs
(WE REGRET THAT ALL WORK IS UNDERTAKEN AT APPLICANT’S OWN RISK)

'They are the limit," said Hermione grimly, taking down the sign, which
Fred and George had pinned up over a poster giving the date of the first Hogsmeade weekend in October. "We’ll have to talk to them, Ron."

Ron looked positively alarmed. "Why?"

"Because we’re prefects!" said Hermione, as they climbed out through the portrait hole. "It’s up to us to stop this kind of thing!"

"Uhm, Hermione, what are you doing?" You came downstairs to the common room followed by of course the twins, Lee and Astrid.

"What do you think? I'm taking this whole scheme down—"

"You sure you want to attempt that, Granger?" Said Fred from your right

"Yes, I want to. Otherwise I'll tell McGonagall. You shouldn't be testing your stupid products on students either way!" Hermione looked furious.

"Relax! It's not something dangerous—" George had begun to say

"Y'know what? Fine. Do as you please. I won't be the one to get expelled by this school from your little "shop"."

"Alright fine, relax a little bit." Said Lee, looking from Hermione to Harry. "Hey you alright mate? Is something troubling you?"

"Seamus reckons Harry’s lying about You-Know-Who," said Ron succinctly, when Harry did not respond.

Hermione, whom Harry had expected to react angrily on his behalf, sighed. "Yes, Lavender thinks so too," she said gloomily.

"Been having a nice little chat with her about whether or not I’m a lying, attention-seeking prat, have you?" Harry said loudly.

"No," said Hermione calmly, "I told her to keep her big fat mouth shut about you, actually. And it would be quite nice if you stopped jumping down Ron’s and my throats, Harry, because if you haven’t noticed, we’re on your side.”"

There was a short pause.

"Sorry." said Harry in a low voice.

"That’s quite all right," said Hermione with dignity. Then she shook her head. "Don’t you remember what Dumbledore said at the end-of-term feast last year?" You looked at her blankly, and Hermione sighed again. "About You-Know-Who. He said, 'His gift for spreading discord and
enmity is very great. We can fight it only by showing an equally strong bond
of friendship and trust —' "

"How do you remember stuff like that?" Ron asked, looking at her with admiration.

"I listen, Ron." said Hermione with a touch of asperity.

"So do I, but I still couldn’t tell you exactly what —"

"Hermione's point," Astrid pressed on loudly, "is that this sort of thing is  exactly what Dumbledore seemed to be talking about. You-Know-Who’s only been back two months, and we’ve started fighting among ourselves. And the Sorting Hat’s warning was the same — stand together, be united —"