Chapter Fourteen~4

Hours later.

Donggun lay peacefully in Iksoon's room, sleeping, and breathing normally. While Iksoon was outside his room with the elder monk whispering, "Do you really believe it's the same thing?" his eyes filled with concern and confusion. The elder monk smiled at him peacefully, then tapped on his shoulder and told him to wait for Donggun to wake up. Iksoon shook his head in frustration and looked away.

The evening of Chuseok.

Donggun woke up and looked around, realizing that he was in Iksoon's room. He stood up and frowned, not understanding what had brought him there. Feeling his body sore and weak, he walked slowly outside the room until he went to the garden where Iksoon was sitting.

He was preparing warm drinks. Iksoon smiled at him, then gave him a cup of warm, calming herbs. "Feeling better?" Iksoon asked.

"Maybe..." Donggun said, feeling his arms ache while holding the cup.

"Do you remember anything?" Iksoon curiously asked.

"Not much... I met you earlier this morning before heading to jeongjeon, but I don't remember how I got here," — he took a sip of the herbs and swiped a hot sweat covering his forehead — "why is it hot in here?!" he asked and left the cup on the ground.

Iksoon looked away; he didn't know how to tell him the truth. Donggun stood up and kept walking into the garden in surprise. "Where is the snow? Why are you still here? The fire should be up by now." Iksoon looked at him and sighed.

"Donggun... It's Chuseok," Iksoon hesitantly said. Donggun frowned then chuckled, shaking his head, thinking that Iksoon was messing with him. "I'm sorry, but it's the truth," Iksoon said. "You have been gone for eight months."

"What are you talking about? I met you this morning, and we saw everyone getting ready for daeboreum," Donggun said and laughed.

"That was eight months ago," Iksoon said.

"Stop fooling around," Donggun said and hit Iksoon's shoulder playfully.

"I'm not... you disappeared on the morning of daeboreum." the elder monk was watching them from a distance. Iksoon was nervous; he didn't know how to make him believe what was happening when he couldn't believe it himself.

The elder monk walked in and broke their confused silence. "How do you feel now?" the elder monk's voice was soft and calming. It was the first time Donggun saw him. He didn't reply. He blinked nervously and pointed at himself. "How do you feel now?" the elder monk asked again, waiting for Donggun to answer. He froze in his place but felt the need to answer him respectfully.

"I don't know..." Donggun answered honestly.

The elder monk smiled at him and asked Iksoon to get the papers he had given him months ago. "I know how you feel. No need to be scared." Donggun said nothing; he kept looking at the monk, not grasping what he was saying.

Iksoon went back to them and gave the elder monk the papers. Iksoon looked at Donggun confused. "It will be okay... you will find your truth, Donggun," Iksoon said and tapped on his shoulder, then excused himself to check on the students.

"Donggun," the elder monk said calmly. "Do you know me?" Donggun didn't answer. "My name is Jinpyo," he said and looked directly at Donggun and continued, "It means a symbol of truth... I'm known for speaking the truth... no matter what, and what I'm about to tell you is the truth."

Donggun felt dizzy; he held his head and cringed at the sudden uncomfortable feeling. "Sit down and drink the herbs; it will help your dizziness," Jinpyo said and handed a cup of warm herbs to Donggun, but he didn't take it. Jinpyo reached and held Donggun's hand then closed his eyes, taking a deep breath. "Your body is changing... it's adapting its new destiny."

Donggun stood up. "What destiny?" he said, snatching his hand away.

"Your ability is growing, and it is time for you to take control of it." Jinpyo smiled and held the papers.

"What are you talking about?!"

"I can't tell you; Read it yourself... it will help you understand what happened to you." he gave the papers to him and left.

While Iksoon was watching them from a distance, Jinpyo walked toward him. "Do you think he'll be able to accept his destiny?"

"If he couldn't accept it... it wouldn't be his in the first place," Jinpyo said calmly, then tapped on his shoulder.

Iksoon kept watching Donggun while Jinpyo went inside the temple. Donggun opened the leather cover. There were a bunch of old papers handwritten in Hangul and Katakana. His eyes scanned the first paper written twenty years ago by a Japanese monk called Jien.

Jinpyo my friend, I know you're asking yourselfwhy I'm such a mystery. Why can't you read my soul? I knew your ability, and Ididn't want you to see what I saw. For the moment, I saw you; I knew what youwere. One small touch can reveal my soul. I couldn't let you know my secrets.But you, my friend, need to know the truth. To help others who have a similardestiny. I wrote about everything that happened until the day I came here.Don't hate me for leaving and not saying goodbye. I'm on a mission, my friend.I couldn't stay...