SUPERFETATION

CHAPTER FOUR
SUPERFETATION

Manoucheca had gotten the shock of a lifetime when she went in for a NIPT test which is a noninvasive blood test that's available to all pregnant women beginning at 10 weeks of pregnancy. It screens for Down syndrome and some other chromosomal conditions, and it can tell you whether you're having a boy or a girl.

Then as Manoucheca was getting ready to leave the doctor's office, an ultrasound was requested by Manoucheca's doctor when he got some of the blood work results.

Donna, Michael's mom who Manoucheca brought along to the appointment since Micahel was busy was starting to internally panic that something might be wrong with the baby since the doctor was completely silent staring at the monitor.

The ultrasound showed that Manoucheca had an unexpected additional company growing in her belly.

Manoucheca was shocked as the doctor told her that it was a case of superfetation, getting pregnant while already carrying a baby is so rare that one 2008 study found fewer than 10 recorded cases in the world.

"I got pregnant whilst I was already pregnant, that's crazy," Manoucheca said.

She told her the babies have conceived about three weeks apart.

"The baby is growing at a consistent rate of two weeks behind the first one," The doctor told Manoucheca.

Donna was shocked.

"Only something like this would happen to me," Manoucheca said with a laugh.

"It's like winning the lottery if you think about it in a way," Donna told Manoucheca.

Donna called Michael and informed him about the news and of course, Michae was very proud of himself. He was elated to be having one child, but even more so for twins. He felt that they were very lucky and was now even more overprotective of Manoucheca.

Manoucheca fretted over the second baby's development in the womb, worried that being so far behind the first baby might affect their health at birth.

"Well, since the second baby's growing consistently, there is nothing to worry about for now. Of course, you will most likely have a cesarean and both babies will have to spend time in separate neonatal intensive care units," The doctor informed Manoucheca.

Donna and Manoucheca left the doctor's office after that. Manoucheca called her sister and told her about the news of her being pregnant with twins, who were developing at different times.

Robyn was confused so Manoucheca had to explain that when the first egg was fertilized and implanted during the first ovulation, she somehow ovulated again during that same cycle. Therefore, another egg was also fertilized and became another embryo and at different times both embryos were implanted in the uterus.

"Only some crazy shit like that would happen to you, Manou," Robyn told her sister.

Manoucheca chuckled.

"I said the same thing," Manoucheca said.

"So, you're having fraternal twins then?" Winston asked in the background.

"I guess you can say that," Manoucheca answered.

Later that day, Manoucheca and Michael met up at their new house to check on the progress of the renovation. Michael had put his property on the market back in January while Manoucheca was planning on putting her property on the market after the renovations for their twelve-bedroom and fourteen-bathroom home nestled behind grand gates in one of Beverly Hills' most prestigious neighborhoods were done.

"It's almost done," The constructor told them as they walked into the house.

The gated compound that they brought provided luxury, privacy, and scale on display featuring nearly fourteen thousand square feet of living space, one thousand feet of decks, and sitting on 1.7 acres of land.

The property offered a huge main house, a two-story guest house, a separate three thousand sq ft gym, a full sports court, a resort-style pool with waterfalls, waterslide, and grotto, a full outdoor kitchen with wood-burning pizza oven, a motor court, and a six-car garage.

Their home provided multiple living areas with opening walls of glass, views, high ceilings, white oak wire-brushed wood floors, and beautiful finishes throughout.

"Is our suite done?" Manoucheca asked.

"Yes, it's completely done after we added the wall of sliding glass doors that you wanted," The constructor answered.

"Okay, thank you," Manoucheca said.

Their primary suite offered a calming canyon view from a wall of sliding glass doors, a fireplace, his/hers bathrooms with gorgeous marble slabs, aromatic oil & steam showers, private staff entrances, and a hair salon. They had three walk-in closets with the third closet being a dedicated shoe closet which was Michael's idea.

Michael smiled as he noticed his custom staircase was installed.

"That's what I'm talking about," Michael said, admiring the staircase.

"Okay, you were right," Manoucheca said, noticing how the staircase complimented the sprawling open-plan space.

"You heard that Diego, I was right," Michael said as they walked up the stairs.

Diego chuckled.

"Is the guest house done, Diego?" Manoucheca asked him.

"Yes," Diego answered.

They entered the suite and Michael was blown away by the work done in the room.

"It's perfect," Michael said.

The goal for their home is for you to feel like you're at a resort as you stroll the property. No expense was spared to create a constant feeling of luxury and privacy for Michael and Manoucheca.

"Diego you got the stamp of approval," Manoucheca said.