twenty one.

The sun beamed down on the teenage boys as they scrambled around the street

The sun beamed down on the teenage boys as they scrambled around the street. Sweat dripped down their face, their mouths wide open as they talked smack to one another. Benji dribbled the ball between his legs and shuffled over to the net. He did a lay up and smacked his chest with triumph as it effortlessly went into the net.

"That's what I'm talking 'bout."

"You're out," Sean chuckled and pointed at Drake.

Drake waved them off and limped over to the curb of the street. He plopped his shirt over his head to block his face from the sun. "Y'all really coming for the disabled, huh?"

"Bro," The boys said simultaneously.

"You are past recovery. I don't know what you mean 'bout disabled." Benji scoffed. He sat beside Drake and wiped his face with a towel.

Sean took a large gulp of his water as he observed his best friend. He hadn't seen Drake since the last time they played ball at the center. That was two weeks. Yes, they didn't hang out everyday, because they were working students in their last year of high school, but they somehow always made time for each other at least twice a week. But it was like Drake was avoiding them.

Why?

Drake looked up at Sean and awkwardly cleared his throat. "So... Benji, what's going on with you and Nyla?"

Benji shrugged. "Nothing."

"You're not gonna ask her out?"

"Nah, we just friends."

Sean eyed him carefully. "I thought you were feeling her."

"I was, but I think it's better we remain friends. It'd be mad awkward for the group if something went wrong. Plus I doubt she'd want to take things further."

"Enough about me...What's going on with you?" He nodded at Drake.

"Me? I just been chillin'"

"Shit he's been chillin', too. I see you being friends with Nyla now after you basically trashed her," Drake smirked.

Sean smacked his lips and looked away stubbornly. He didn't want to admit it, but Nyla wasn't the worst person. She was cool and it was easy to spark up conversation. She had a dimensional personality.

They found themselves talking about different things for the rest of the night they spent at the community center. Random conversations that he couldn't have with anyone else.

"She's cool. I'm not even gonna lie."

"She is," Drake agreed.

As the boy continued to converse and laugh with one another, the sound of a car blasting music caused their conversation to seize. Drake's jaw clenched at the sight of the black SUV approaching his house. The sweat that he had previously wiped off began to cascade the side of his face.