157: Unafraid

Start bij het begin

"So she can see us." Meridian wasn't acting at all nervous.

He took his bow out and shot an arrow up at Salem's face--which did nothing except that she apparently saw it, because she glared at him.

"Piss off, you bloody hag," Meridian called, making people look at him like he'd lost his mind. "Everyone knows you don't make a deal with the devil. Probably just kill us once you got your little prize, would you? I'll tell you what you can do with your mercy, you can take it and shove it right up--"

"Meridian!" Weiss clamped her hand over his mouth--which she had to reach pretty high to do.

Salem glared at him. "Who are you? You impudent--" But then she paused. "But threats will get you nowhere. I will--"

Right across her words, they heard a loud crackling, sizzling sound, and blinding light came from above and fried the black shell.

Salem's face dissipated, as did the entire wall...and fresh air--cold, biting air with the salty smell of the sea--finally came rushing into the kingdom and so did rain, a drizzle that became a downpour.

All the remaining black goo in the streets dissolved, and the small, dog gremlins all ran out, howling, like they hadn't signed up for thunderstorms.

Weiss and Meridian were both soaked in a few seconds.

"Well, that was a bit more climatic than I expected." Meridian rubbed his head. The rain was making his red hair look almost brown. "But effective."

"You are insane!" Weiss cried, though she was half smiling. "But what was that?"

"It wasn't me, I don't think," Meridian said. "Unless I have way more power than I thought. What was that about?"

The people were looking at them strangely.

"So is she coming or not?" someone called.

"I don't know," someone else said. "Who did she want?"

"We should get out of here," Weiss said.

"I have a feeling that some people may still want to turn you over," Meridian said. "Do you think she'll come to collect after that?"

"I don't know, but she'll come here somehow," Weiss said. "I...I can't believe she did that. She's always worked in the shadows, but now...she doesn't care?"

"Speaking as a total novice, that would probably mean she no longer needs to skulk around," Meridian said.

"Weiss?" Weiss heard a familiar voice call.

She looked down, and Wally was in the street, waving at her. "What are you doing up there?"

"Mr. West!" Weiss jumped to the ground and ran to him, then she actually gave him a hug. "Did you fry it?"

"Not exactly," Wally said. "But it was something else."

"Did you hear the message?" Weiss asked.

"I didn't hear anything..." Wally was confused. "Is that Meridian up there?" He waved.

Meridian slid down.

"You missed it. It was a goshdanged horror movie," he said.

Shine, Yang, Oscar, and Raven, came running up the street.

"People don't seem quite as happy as I would have thought," Oscar said.

"What's going on?" Yang asked. "What were all those little Grimm that ran out?"

"Yang!" Weiss called.

"Weiss?" Yang saw her. "Oh, you're okay--"

Weiss hugged her also. "You guys actually came!"