Prologue

Smoke, That’s all I saw that night. It was April 30, 2139, at 2:39 am. I just recently discovered my quirk, Shadows, the ability to make shadows do as I wish. Mami threw a big party for me after the appointment. She said that she was very proud of me and that my Papi was proud of me too, I was happy. My big brother asked me to go to the room with him, he had a surprise for me, I followed him to his room. He wouldn't do anything to hurt me...

r̴͙̝̟͒́͝i̵͙̝̟̻͇̻͇͒́͛́͑͛́͑͝g̴͚͇͕͛̓̾h̴̺̘̫̺̘̫́͆́́͆́t̾͒͌?̴͙̦̠̐͑͑

___

I jolted my head right up from my bed. Sweat was coming down all over my body; it was that dream again. It has been bothering me for almost a month, and I still don't understand what it means. It’s 5am here in my apartment, a bit too early for my taste but oh well.

Today was the last day of middle school. I’m planning to apply to UA since they now offer general classes for those who are quirkless.

Oh yeah I forgot to introduce myself. My name is Izuku Midoriya, I’m fourteen years old and since I was a child, I’ve always dreamed of becoming a hero. Someone as great and inspiring as my idol, All Might.

But on the day of my 5th birthday…
__

“You’re quirkless.”

My world shattered right then and there.
Quirkless…? How can I be quirkless?

“Excuse me doctor? What do you mean my son is quirkless?” My mother was with me that day, sitting beside me and holding my
hand, worrying clouding her jaded colored eyes.

“ Well ma’am” said the doctor “your son has an extra pinky toe joint on his left foot, which shows that his body doesn’t show any quirk to be involved” he explained to her.

“May I ask, what’s yours and your husband’s quirk?”, the doctor asked. My mother responded, “well… I have weak telekinesis while my husband can breathe fire.”

“Mister,” I asked, “will I be able to get a quirk?”

“I’m afraid there’s nothing I can do for you”
__

“Mom…? Can I still be able to be a hero..?”
I asked her silently, tears dripping from my eyes. I was in my room at this time. Somewhere in the middle of the night, I was watching the All Might video I’ve always watched. My mother entered the room so she could check on me. I could see her bursting into tears at that moment as I said that. She ran to my side sobbing.

“I’m sorry, Izuku! I’m so sorry!”

__

I’m in my class now, waiting for the bell to ring and writing in my journal analyzing Mt. Lady and her quirk, I mean she took out that
villain with just one kick! It was amazing.

My teacher came in with a bunch of papers, I’m assuming that’s our career and school choices for the future. “Okay class, I have your career papers for the future. Oh who am I
kidding, you all want to be heroes don’t you!”
My teacher said as he threw the papers in the air with a smile.

Everyone started to activate their quirks and cheer, proving his point right.

Everyone except for me…Don’t get me wrong! I still want to be a hero, but I’m starting to lose hope about it ever coming true.

“Ha! Teach. Don’t even lump me with these extras.” yelled a booming voice. That’s Katsuki Bakugou, my childhood ex-best friend. We both dreamed of being heroes together, side by side.

But after I was deemed quirkless…

“You’re just a useless Deku! Someone like you could never be a hero.”