Part 6

Chapter Six

  " Can I use the bathroom?" I ask a little awkwardly and he directs me to take the stairs and take the turn on my left. I walk carefully on the spiral stairs kind of afraid that I might break it.  I follow his instructions and I'm instantly confused when I get there. There are about five rooms on my right hand and there's one facing me. Where do I go ? I can't hold my urine in any longer. I need to get down to business before I make I mess. Holding my abdomen I run into any of the rooms without knowing which one. There's no time to even admire the amazingly spacious and ventilated room I walk into.

    " What am I? A five year old, who can't even hold in urine for ten minutes? How embarrassing!" I mumble to myself while washing my hands.

    The view in the room is beautiful. There are modern french windows on the right side of where the bed is.. I slump my butt on the sofa adjacent the bed, inhaling the sweet scent coming from the room.

           The silence and serenity I'm enjoying is cut short by a loud yelling. I jump up from the sofa with rapid movement towards the hall. You know that moment when you regret having done something but there's nothing you can do because the harm has already been caused? Yes! That's exactly what I'm feeling right now. James is having a serious fight with his wife. Looking down I see her in a blue strapless night wear. That is when I process everything that is happening. She has been in the house all this while. And she probably saw me. The fear i feel is so evident even on how I'm walking.

   " What should I do?" I murmur to myself with my finger nails going right into my mouth. I'm scared as hell. The woman standing there is fair, I mean like a normal light skinned Ghanaian . She doesn't have the color James has. She has curly hair which has been tied in a bun.  I shudder as I walk down the stairs.

   "So you even brought her to our matrimonial home?" She shakes her head bitterly. There's so much sadness in her eyes when she glares at me. My outfit isn't helping very much because I'm still wearing my work attire.

  " What do you mean? She's not my...."

   " Dad what's going on?" I think there's a fault in my stars because I'm so damn unlucky. The voice that calls 'dad' is a young man more or less about my age. His complexion is as bright as that of his dad's. However handsome he is, definitely doesn't matter now because I'm in deep shit and I don't know how to get out of it. This is the point in my life where I wish the earth would just open up and swallow me. The young man drops his two suitcases and rush to his parents. James looks so dejected. What he was trying so hard to avoid has just happened.

   " And who the f*ck is she?" He has a British accent but why is he using the F word on me?

  " Daddy's new mistress." A girl about fifteen years of age says. She's smiling at me. She's in hello kitty pajamas and staring at me from the stairs balcony. Before I can even process all what is happening, she's running downstairs and engulfing me in an embrace. My body is too stiffen to return her hug. She's the only dark skinned person I've seen in the family so far. Where's the other son? We need him to complete this nonsensical family drama.. " Oh my God! I think I like you already. Honestly my parents need a divorce. I welcome you home step mom" she whispers to me while giggling.

  " The kids are here. We don't have to do this" James' voice of reason can be heard from where I'm standing.

  " I'm sorry. I think I should be on my way now" I say with my shoulder slump and begin to walk out. No hand or voice Is stopping me and I'm glad. I don't want to be part of their little 'heartwarming drama'. James' wife is good enough to let me go unscratched. I don't even reach the door when I hear someone scream James' name. I turn and find him collapsed on the floor with his two children and wife around him. Without thinking twice, I run to his side with tears in my eyes. Guilt is written all over me. Did I cause this ? Why did I even agree to come to his house in the first place when he's going through a rough time with his family.

  Someone shakes me violently from the couch. My eyes are hurting and I have a splitting headache. After James suffered a heart attack, they immediately called their family doctor and in no minute he arrived. According to him James is going through a tough time and his family need to cut him some slack. He specifically demanded that we make him rest and not stress him more than he already is. It was too late by the time the doctor left so Ariana, James' youngest daughter snuck me inside one of the guest rooms downstairs so I could rest. We had time to catch up and talk a little bit. I had explained to her that I am not her father's mistress and that I would never make another woman cry.

    She was so happy to hear that. She said she acted pleased to meet me earlier because she was getting tired of seeing her parent fight all the time.

   " I trust my dad. I know he will never do anything to hurt mom but she's making everything so difficult for him. She makes it hard for anyone to love her. I thought separation will help them sought everything out. That's why I was willing to welcome you as my daddy's mistress with open arms so that my mom will know how to fight for what she wants" She had said. Although she's acting all though, I can see how everything affects her. More than anyone I can understand how she feels. I've been there. I've seen my parent fight like that before and it's nothing pleasant for any growing child to witness.