Part 1

Chapter One

There are times in America and other countries where people have to go on summer break, winter breaks and all of that. It is a different case when you come to my side of the world. It's either you'll ditch going to work because the road is flooded or you'll just apply a non-scented lipgloss on your dry lips during a hot and dry harmattan season. Nothing is special here. Everything is rusty and dirty. The streets of Accra is nothing to boast about when it rains.

Nothing seem nice and the roads are muddy as usual. I have a double shift at the club today because I apparently skipped the whole of last night for some reason that I'll explain later. I sigh and pull my self in a black flare skirt that is as short as anything you can ever imagine. I match it with a white t-shirt and tie the end of it in a knot, Wearing a  knee boots, I tie my hair in a high ponytail: I can dress anyhow to a club right? But unfortunately or fortunately that's the dress code for Black Alley's female staffs. I take a good look at myself in a full length mirror before heading out. I close door to my apartment gently behind me.

"Hello Paul! Good evening" I greet with a broad smile on my face. Paul is the security man in charge of the apartment building. He's a short dark man with the stomach of a typical Ghanaian father. He's friendly and the only person who is nice to me in the whole premises.

"Have a Good Evening. See you...."

"And where do you think you're going" A voice interrupts Paul before he could finish his sentence . Of course who else could it be? Allow me to introduce Mrs.Eva, the owner of this amazing five apartment building. She scrutinizes my whole body from down through to the hair on my head.

"Dressed like that" She adds pointing to my outfit. For some reason I want to believe this 50years old Black woman standing right in front of me has Alzheimers. She always ask the same question every night knowing very well what my answer will be. I roll my eyes at her while trying my best to repeat the answer to her question..

"To work! Mrs. Eva" I say patiently with a fake smile planted on my face..

"Looking like a first class whore?" I smile at her. This time it isn't  fake. I am used to that kind of comment. She calls me that all the time. It's no surprise.

"Aren't you the nicest Mrs. Eva?" I ask sarcastically.. I wave them both a goodbye and jump in on the first taxi I set eyes on.

"Where to ma'am?" The driver asks politely

" Black Alley" I reply. He shoots me a judgmental look through the rear view mirror. A look that says " No wonder you're dressed like that" I ignore him and turn my attention back to my phone. There's  nothing to watch on it. I just don't  want to lock eyes with someone who looks down on others or even engage in a conversation with him.

"I'm sorry ma'am but I can't go through the alley" I raise my head to look at him. He turns his face to my direction as I wait patiently for him to give me a reason why he doesn't want to.

"I heard that place is full of ungodly people with no morals" i scoff and roll my eyes at him. Is  he being serious? I stuff my hand in my bra bringing out a 20ghc note. I extend my hand to him and he looks at me disgustingly.

"Did it come out of an ungodly place so you're not going to take it ?" I pout mockingly at him. He snatches the money from me rudely while silently saying in his head " Can you get out of my car now?" I graciously do  that as I wait for him to return my change. I could sense he didn't  have change so I gave him the treatment I give to all those judgmental drivers out there.

" You know what? Keep the change! I think you need that 5ghc more than I do. Use it to fix your sense of your judgment" He frowns, not too sure what he should say. I am trying so hard not break down into laughter but I have to act up. He searches hastily through his pocket and before I know it, a 5ghc note is being thrown at me. What? That was so disrespectful. He's shouting something at me which I'm not paying attention to because I see George, one of the bouncers walking towards us. " Kylie, you good?" He shouts. The driver looks scared, almost like he regrets throwing money at me. He takes off in full speed before George could get to him.

" Yeah. I'm okay, just some crazy cab driver" I assure George when he finally catches up with me.