07| Is it because of that guy?

Start from the beginning

I walked forward and directed my steps towards the administrative office.

I had a task at hand, which was to retrieve my original graduation documents that had undergone verification and were now deemed complete, officially enrolling me in the university. 

After a brief wait of what felt like an eternity, the stern-faced individual in charge finally acknowledged my presence. Giving me a curt nod, he motioned for me to sign a register and handed over my documents, demanding yet another signature on a document before I could take my leave.

I emerged from the gate and came across Nitya, who was standing near a pillar close to the administrative office building.

Her eyes were closed and she was taking deep breaths, seemingly trying to compose herself. When she opened her eyes, our gaze locked and I couldn't help but notice they were bloodshot, a clear sign she was really distressed.

Shock and concern washed over me. What on earth could've happened to throw her into such a state in such a short time?

My feet moved on autopilot, carrying me closer to her to check if she was okay. But just as I got near, she bolted, leaving me standing there, lost in thought. Maybe she was dealing with personal or family problems, or who knows what else. But I figured it wasn't my place to pry.

I turned away, trying to shake off the thoughts swirling in my head, and dialed Samar's number, remembering he said he'd be on campus. But the call just kept ringing, unanswered. I tried a few more times, but still no luck. So, I decided to drop him a text to know where he was at.

"Look who's here!" a young woman approached me with a radiant smile.

Before I had the chance to reply, she wrapped me in a sudden embrace.

I was taken aback, my arms stiff at my sides as I didn't reciprocate the embrace. I felt a surge of anger and frustration. This stranger just hugged me out of nowhere. How on earth did she dare to do such a thing?

I distanced myself from her with a quick push, and her eyes widened in surprise at my unexpected move.

"Who are you? And why the hell did you just hug me?" I gritted my teeth and clenched my fist, trying hard to control the anger bubbling within me.

"Adwait, don't you recognize me?" she she gulped nervously, clearly taken aback by my anger.

"Should I?"

She looked around as a flush of red spreading across her face in embarrassment.

I followed her gaze and noticed that several students nearby were observing our exchange, perhaps even eavesdropping on our conversation. I rolled my eyes in displeasure.

Hadn't they anything more worthwhile to occupy their time with?

"Ishana Arora," she offered me a smile that appeared more forced than genuine. "We're family friends, surely you haven't forgotten?"

I tried to think hard to recognize her, but I couldn't recall. 

As she sensed my distant expression, she made an effort to jog my memory.

"We met three years ago at your birthday party. I was wearing a blue dress, and you danced with me. Afterward, our families sat down for a meal together."

I racked my brain to remember the moment she was talking about. Three years was a long time, and the memory of her face in a blue dress was just a hazy recollection. I remembered the birthday party, but the details of who I had danced with and shared dinner with were lost on me.