Epilogue- A Well-Earned Rest

A few hours later, the kids were back home and had decided to watch a movie together to pay back what they 'owed' Gumball. It took a while for them to choose, but eventually, they'd settled on a movie they all liked and sat down together with popcorn to watch.

The three had a great time, laughing at the movie, making jokes, critiquing and mocking parts of it they found stupid, and overall enjoying each other's company.

Near the end of the movie, however, Gumball noticed neither Anais nor Darwin were saying anything and hadn't done so for quite a while. "You alright guys? You're being pretty quiet all of a sudden." He asked, not wanting to look away from the movie.

He didn't get a response. "Guys?" He asked again but still no response. He gave in and looked away from the movie for a second. He looked down at the two of them and a large smile began to form on his face.

The two of them, exhausted from their day's work, had fallen asleep cuddled up to him. Darwin was resting his head against his left shoulder, whilst Anais was resting against his chest, his right arm protectively on top of her.

"Awww, you guys...you must have worn yourselves out doing all of that investigating..."  He chuckled, before smiling at the two of them. "...thanks so much guys. I know I may not be the best brother, and a pretty big jerk most of the time, and the fact you're still willing to go out of your way for me like this...it really means a lot..." 

He hesitated and gave the two a small kiss on the forehead, and after he kissed Anais he stopped. his ears pricking up.

She was making a noise, but he couldn't quite tell what. He listened closer and gasped, his face lighting up as he realized it was the light chattering of her teeth.  Despite not hearing it all that often, he knew exactly what this sound meant, as his mother had told him about it when he'd heard his Dad making it before...

...she was purring. She was so happy and content snuggled up to him that she was purring. 

 He couldn't help but let out a small, quiet squeal of delight at seeing his sister in such a happy, content state. "Awww, Ani..." He rubbed her on the head affectionately, and she shifted slightly making herself more comfortable.

It was then that Gumball noticed how uncomfortable he was at the moment. Having the weight of both his siblings leaning on him wasn't exactly the most comfortable thing in the world. He couldn't bring himself to get up or move though, as he didn't want to disturb either of them.

They were both happy as could be cuddled up to him, and he didn't mind, regardless of how uncomfortable it was for him.

In his books, they'd more than earned it.

The End.