Chapter 25 🔻 The Long-lost Lucid Dreamers

In my brief tenure as a scavenger, I'd uncovered a lot of weird stuff. I figured that, after the immense submarine, the crystal-clear pool of water in the middle of a desert was the second weirdest thing. Well, Crow probably counted as the first weirdest thing, so this took third place.

Beneath the black, starless sky, the fireflies—the ghost fireflies—whose twinkling lights we'd followed orbited a skeletal tree that stood centered on an islet in the middle of the pool. Perhaps it used to be an old Japanese Maple back on Earth, and its boughs would've been heavy with a lush, red plumage of leaves. But instead, the long-dead tree was barren, with only wind chimes hanging from every branch. I let out a weak exhale at the sight, and the desert breathed with me. A breeze stirred the wind chimes and instantly they came alive. Glass, wood, and metal all came together to create a soothing, sad symphony.

I crouched at the edge of the shallow pond and dipped my fingers into the water's still surface. "Water..." I mused, watching the ripples spread. But of course. Where else would the ghosts of aquatic creatures live? At my touch, spectral koi of every color stirred and scattered.

"This is certainly new," said Vale beside me.

I couldn't help myself. I peeled off my boots and rolled up the legs of my pants. Then, slowly, I stepped into the pool. The cloud of fireflies parted, as if inviting me further into the water that barely reached up to my knees. And I laughed as I wiggled my toes in smooth, polished pebbles.

I turned to my friends. "What are you waiting for, guys? The water's fi—"

A wave splashed me right in the face.

From the opposite end of the little pool, Webb threw his fists up in victory. "That's ten points!"

He braced himself to send another tsunami my way. The water rippled some more as Vale slipped into the water beside me and followed suit. She had removed her leather cloak and all her tattoos were on full display. I grinned at her.

Webb backed away from the two of us. "Two against one. I see how it is," he said. He crouched low to the water, ready to send another wave.

Before he could make a move, Vale and I pummeled him with wave after wave. He shrieked, throwing up his hands to defend himself from all the splashing.

Vale put her hands on her hips. "Give it up, Webby! You're outnumbered two to one!"

"Oh, yeah?" yelled a water-logged Webb. He squeezed water from his dripping curls. "Let's see how you survive when my back-up arrives!"

There was silence.

"Uh. Back-up?" he called, side-eyeing Crow, who sat cross-legged in the sand, safely out of the splash zone. "Little help?"

"Crows do not swim," the other hollow said flatly.

Vale and I laughed devilishly while we ganged up on the whining blond. "Any last words?" my companion teased.

Webb just flipped us off with both hands, resigned to his fate. Our battle began. All three of us splashed water at each other indiscriminately, ducking and dodging. Our laughter sang across the dunes. With lightning speed, Webb sent another splash directly at Vale's face. I dramatically threw myself in front of her, knocking her out of the way and getting thoroughly soaked in her stead.

"I'm hit!" I laughed and playfully collapsed into the pool with a splatter. "With my last words," I pretended to sputter to Vale. "I want you to avenge me."

Without hesitation, Vale cast a devilish grin Webb's way. "You got it, love." She lunged toward him, sending a wave that even Poseidon would be envious of toward the boy.