Chapter 15

Rex and Shira spent 3 months in hiding without being found. They moved around to different caves, but always staying close enough to the city that they could see if any ships had arrived. They started to fall into a comfortable rhythm with each other and grew even closer. Rex knew every line on Shira's face, including the small scar just above her right eyebrow. She said it was from an unfortunate fall as a child, and whenever she raised her eyebrows, the scar would crinkle. Rex thought it was cute.

Shira and Rex memorized each other's mannerisms and could tell instinctually when the other was sad or feeling a wave of anxiety. Rex had started only referring to Shira by name, which made her very happy. As days bled into weeks, they started becoming closer physically and mentally. When they sat to eat together after a hunt in the woods, they would sit side by side and brush fingertips occasionally as they ate.

One particularly cold night about a week after they had been on the run Rex was woken up by the sound of Shira shivering and crying. They hadn't ever dared lit a fire besides to quickly heat their food to the point they could safely eat it. "Hey, what's wrong?" he'd asked gently, placing a hand on her shoulder. She had been sitting up keeping watch in the night.

"How could I have let all of this happen?" She whispered, looking up into the stars.

"It isn't your fault, Shira."

She chuckled dryly and glanced over at Rex before a wave of chills overtook her. Rex scootched closer and lifted his arms "May I?"

Shira nodded, but then her lips lifted in a half smile. "That armor isn't the most comfortable, and honestly probably won't keep me warmer."

Rex blushed, then slowly lifted off his chest plate and removed the top half of his armor, his blacks were intact thankfully, though there was a gash down one side when Rex had torn them when he was trying to wash them in a stream a couple days before. Moving towards the back of the cave, Rex turned so his back was towards the cold and wrapped Shira in his arms. After a while she stopped shivering and fell asleep.

The nightmares started for the both of them that night. Soon, it didn't matter if the temperature was warm outside or bitter cold, they couldn't sleep outside of each other's embrace. The problem was, neither of them was keeping watch in the night anymore.

Three months later, Rex was roused from sleep by Shira snapping up from deep sleep and accidentally banged her head into Rex's chin.

"Yow!" Rex leaned backward and put a hand to his chin, massaging his jaw.

"Rex!"

A blaster bolt whistled through the air. The split-second Rex got from Shira's warning saved his life. He dove to the side and the shot that was aimed right for his heart instead grazed his left side. Rex let out a yelp of pain. Shira had spun into action and dove for Rex's blasters on the ground next to his helmet.

Firing two quick shots Shira managed to surprise the droid with her speed and soon the droid was nothing more than a smoking pile of scrap metal. This droid was more advanced than your basic B1-battle droid, looking closer Rex realized with dread it was a commando droid, probably scouting out to find them.

"Rex," Shira gasped spinning on her heel and taking in Rex's injured side.

Rex managed to open his eyes and unlock his jaw from its clenched state of pain. "It's not terrible, I can walk."

Shira raised an eyebrow. "Not far anyway, but we need to get somewhere else before I take a look at that."

Gathering the rest of the gear, Shira supported Rex as they sped into the forest. It was dark and they didn't have much in the way of light, so Shira ran into a couple of tree branches that swiped angrily at her face.

After an hour of wandering through the forest Shira demanded that they stop so she could look at Rex's plasma wound. Taking respite next to a tall tree Shira pulled out the remaining bacta tube and then groaned. "We're out of bandages."

"Worth it. You healed."

Shira gave Rex a gentle glare. She instructed Rex to remove the top half of his armor and squeezed a generous helping of bacta onto her hands.

"That's too much." Rex protested. He was silenced by a slightly fiercer glare this time.

Shira applied the bacta to Rex's side. Her hands gently massaged the burn. Her hands lingered for a moment before she pulled away. She didn't move from her spot on the rock though. She just stayed, looking into his eyes.

Rex broke the eye contact first, reaching for the bacta tube.

"What are you doing?" Shira asked softly, barely a whisper.

"You have cuts on your face." Rex replied. He raised his fingers to her right cheek, then stopped. "May I?"

Shira nodded. Rex gently brushed the cuts from the shrapnel on her cheek. Then deepened the touch, rubbing in the bacta until it dissolved.

Shira had her eyes closed. She leaned into his hand. The bacta was gone, but Rex hesitated to continue touching her. Her eyes fluttered open. Her head moved in an almost imperceptible nod.

Rex moved his fingers to her jaw, tenderly brushing his fingers against her skin. A shiver passed through Rex. Shira leaned in closer. Their faces mere inches away. Shira's breath hitched. Their noses brushed; Rex's hand was now cupping the side of her face. Both waited, giving the other time to back away if this isn't what they wanted.

Shira closed the rest of the gap, gently pressing her lips against Rex's. Rex responded, kissing her back, slightly stronger this time. Shira smiled softly against his lips before deepening the kiss. She wound her arms around his neck and his arms moved to wrap around her waist. The kisses were sweet, tender, loving.

Rex shifted his body to try and move closer to Shira, but then grimaced and pulled away sharply, sucking air quickly between his teeth. He had forgotten about the plasma burn on his side.

"Oh! I'm so sorry, I forgot..." Shira stopped and then looked up into Rex's golden eyes. She gave Rex a half smile, "Was that okay?"

Rex grinned, "That was more than okay." Rex bent down and kissed the top of her head.

Shira smiled and then tilted her chin up to kiss Rex quickly. "Rex, I love you."

Rex couldn't respond for a minute, no one had ever said that to him before, and he wasn't sure what that meant for him, but then he finally allowed himself to be vulnerable and be truly seen. Tears started spilling down his cheeks quietly. Shira looked surprised for only a moment, before she smiled sadly, understanding glistening in her eyes. She raised her hands and cupped Rex's face, brushing away the tears with her thumbs. Rex held on to her wrist, then moved kissed her palm, caressing her hand, he whispered, "I love you too, Shira."

Rex moved to kiss her again, but froze, ice filling his veins.

"Halt!"

Shira and Rex turned to face a whole battalion of battle droids.