Chapter 12

Rex yanked his sidearms out and took out two droids in quick succession. His conversation with Hod was shoved to the back of his mind. They were in the middle of a forest, so the trees would provide moderate cover, but they would also conceal any droids trying to get too close. Razor was calling out the coordinates of the droids closest to them, Hod and Rex took turns swinging out from behind trees and picking them off.

"10 left!" Razor called out.

Rex grunted in reply. Sucking in a deep breath Rex wheeled around and took aim, only to have Shira have beaten him to it. She was firing slowly, but with deadly precision. Within minutes the droids laid in a scrap pile.

Rex scanned the area, but only saw scrap burn marks on trees. "Clear!" he called.

"Cle..." Hod was cut off by a yell of surprise and pain. One droid had managed to lay low under the fire had scored a shot at Hod's kneecap. Shira whirled around and spotted the droid, three trees away and placed a blaster shot right in the droid's faceplate.

She was the quickest to run over to Hod and get his helmet off. His face was contorted with pain, his jaw locked in defiance. Pain was just part of the battle. Razor moved over but didn't bend down to look at Hod, he kept his eyes and blasters up, scanning the forest for any other hidden enemies. "How bad" he called down.

"Direct shot just below his kneecap," Rex hesitated. Hod wasn't going to walk any time soon. "It's bad."

"That was just the beginning. One of those droids was able to report our position almost certainly. We need to move out and fast." Razor pulled off his helmet and forced himself to look Hod in the eyes. "Vode. . ."

Shira shook her head. "Doesn't one of you have a med pack? I'm sure if I helped, we can carry him back to the palace, I can get him more help there." She was blinking furiously trying to keep the tears from spilling onto her cheeks.

Hod managed a smile, though it looked more like a grimace. He moved a hand to Shira's hands which were trying to remove his boot and armor, so it didn't stick to the wound. "Shira."

"No. No don't you give me any of that Mandalorian honor in death during battle stuff. I don't want to hear it. Your," her breath hitched "You'll be fine. I just have to get you back to the palace."

"Shira."

"No. Stop." Shira's shoulders were shaking. She moved her hands to cover the wound in Hod's leg and closed her eyes and started to slow her breathing.

"Vod'ika, please."

Shira let out a little sob at being called little sister. She had heard the term enough she knew what it meant. What it meant that Hod was calling her that. He raised a hand to her cheek and brushed away a tear. "You have to save your strength. I'm gonna slow you down, I can keep the droids occupied and give you a head start."

"No. No I can..."

"Shira."

They stared at each other. Rex could see some unspoken argument passing between their gazes. Hod shook his head and Shira looked away. The tears were coming faster now. She moved her hands to Hod's on her cheek.

"You have to protect them for me." Hod whispered. He turned his gaze to Rex and jutted his chin out toward him. "Especially that one. He doesn't know which way is up, and he certainly doesn't know enough about women to tell you that he thinks your drop dead gorgeous and that he sees the beautiful parts of you that you won't even see yourself."

Shira swiveled her gaze to Rex, who stiffened quite quickly and felt heat rushing up through his cheeks. Shira returned her attention to Hod. She closed her eyes and Rex could see physically how much it pained her, but she nodded once. Slowly.

Hod nodded at her. Then moved his hand from her cheek and held it out to Razor who had stopped scanning the forest to stare at his brother. "Go. Run." Hod said slowly.

Razor didn't move, his gaze hidden behind his helmet. "Blast it Hod." Razor turned and fired three shots into the nearby droid that had felled Hod. A string of Mandalorian curses followed the blaster shots. He turned back toward Hod. "I'm not putting your name on my armor with Bolt's. Not when you're pulling a dumb heroic move like this." Rex gazed in surprise and saw on Razor's arm cuff there was a list of names, one had been painted with what looked like charcoal from the fire when they were in the cave. Bolt.

Hod grinned at his brother and let out a soft chuckle. "No, no I wouldn't expect you to put me on that nasty armor of yours anyway. Leave me off it, it'll sully my good name." He turned toward Rex. "Listen brother I've already used enough excuses on these two sentimental siblings. If I have to pull another on you I'll shoot my other kneecap." Rex lowered his gaze and then stood. He saluted Hod, and then stood slightly behind Shira, placing a hand on her shoulder. Hod smiled, then winked. "Don't blow it vode."

***

Hours later as they reached the base of the palace Shira grabbed Rex's arm and stopped walking. "Hod. He's gone."