Part 3) Emotions, Gross

Start from the beginning

"I don't know, I've just been dying to go to a beach," I sat down and handed him a cup of coffee while I sipped my own drink, a diet coke. He smiled, Steve would always appreciate a cup of coffee, and I felt like it was the least I could do after all the stress I was putting him through. I always felt indebted to him, not that he ever felt like I owed him, but I just felt guilty for being in a relationship with such a wonderful guy when I clearly didn't deserve him.

"Then I'm glad we're going, you deserve some nice beach time after that mission in Greenland," he reminded me. It was true, there was an explosion at my safehouse while I had been out and all I was left with for the rest of the mission were the clothes on my body (which were not suitable for negative fifty degree weather) and while I can handle the cold no problem, I still get ill afterwards if I am exposed for too long. Steve had made me warm soup and took wonderful care of me (while I complained the whole time, I was not overly friendly when I was sick).

I came over and and pretended like I was reading his phone over his shoulder and whispered in his ear, "I'm excited for some beach time with you," I so badly wanted to kiss him but I couldn't be too careful around the tower, "and I love you," I beamed as I walked over to the bookshelf and grabbed the novel I was halfway through with. I turned back to see his face blushing red and a wicked smile.

"You like saying that, don't you?" He tilted his head a bit.

"What? That I love you?" I questioned, my voice dropping a bit softer on the L word, paranoid that some audio surveillance would pick it up. I would always be a bit more anxious around such high security places.

"Yes," he sipped the coffee trying desperately to stop grin.

"I do," I smirked back, taking up a comfortable position on the couch. My legs dangling over the arm while my back was twisted enough to still be supported. It was one of the most comfortable positions for me, it stretched my lower back and hips nicely, and most people would assume it hurt, their assumptions couldn't be further from the truth. It used to freak Steve out a bit (and Barton too, a long time ago) but they got used to it. On one occasion, I got Clint to try it, and he complained of a pulled muscle for weeks on end.

"I like saying it too," he leaned closer to me and whispered, "I love you."

Oh, I was definitely blushing at this point. I turned my attention back to my book to try and hide it, but I knew he saw it as well. I heard him snicker and return his attention to his phone to read his book from the Kindle app.

"Steve," I asked without looking up, but I could tell his focus snapped to me. I wanted to tell him that my mind was racing about this whole Bruce thing so badly that I couldn't focus on the words on the page. I wanted to admit that I was scared right now, but I finally looked up and saw his face, he had a question in his eyes, but a smile on his lips. I realized quickly that I couldn't tell him that, I didn't want to see his smile drop and I didn't want to admit to him I was nervous.

"Nat?" He asked, I must have been silent for longer than I thought.

"Nothing, sorry, I forgot," I shook my head and turned my head back to the words on the page. I felt his gaze linger on me, he didn't completely believe it, but after a moment he returned his gaze to his phone. I had my fingers crossed that he would forget about it quickly, but a little voice in the back of my head knew Steve wouldn't, he'd worry for a bit longer. He did that with me.

"You sure everything is okay," he inquired, neither of us looking up from our books, both trying to be casual.

"Yes, I just wanted to make sure that you're okay going to the Caribbean, I feel bad because it's the one I wanted to go on, you didn't get a say," I quickly made something up, but it wasn't completely untrue. I had been feeling a tad guilty about that.