How to defend your dragon

Freyr was happy. Honestly and truly happy.

The wind blew is long red hair away from his shoulders behind him. Hiccup was flying a bit ahead on Toothless while Freyr and Hailstorm hung back in case something went wrong.

Something went wrong fairly quickly. They had made it passed the sea stacks and everything was looking good, but when Toothless went up, Hiccup's cheat sheet escaped its holder. While reaching for it, Hiccup's harness slipped from its hook as well, causing both Hiccup and Toothless to start falling uncontrollably.

Freyr flew as close as he could, calling out directions for Toothless to follow so Hiccup could get back into the saddle. Hiccup managed to do so just in time, having to pull up quickly as to not hit the forest below.
Freyr saw Hiccup trying to look at the cheat sheet again and called out to him. "You have to trust yourself!"

Taking his advice, Hiccup releases his hold on the paper and gets him and Toothless though the approaching sea stacks.
On the other side, Freyr met up with the pair, having been a bit faster on navigating the sea stacks.

"Yeah!" Hiccup exclaimed happily and raised his arms above his head in joy.
Toothless seemed to share this joy and let out a blast in front on them. "Oh, come on." Hiccup sighed, lowering his arms in slight defeat.

Freyr laughed at Hiccup as they sat side by side on the nearby beach they had found. The other boy had soot all over his face and the ends of his hair were slightly singed.

"It's not funny." Hiccup pouted, Freyr laughing even more at the reaction.

"It's a little bit funny." Freyr corrected. He raised his hand and ran it through Hiccup's hair, thoroughly amused when it stood up higher because of it.

Freyr didn't notice the blush that coated Hiccup's cheeks at the action as Toothless had started growling, drawing the healer's attention. A group of Terrible Terrors had flown over, landing just before them. And while Hailstorm threw a piece of fish over for them to share, Toothless was guarding the rest of the pile. while two were fighting over the piece that was thrown, one snuck into the pile and was trying to sneak a fish out.
Toothless quicky grabbed the other end of the fish and ate it. The tiny dragon started to charge up its fire, opening its mouth to fire, only to be stopped by Toothless shooting a small blast inside. The dragon puffed up before deflating as it fell to the floor.

With a frown, Freyr instantly stood up and made his way over. The tiny dragon crawled into his arms as the healer checked it over.

"Huh, not so fireproof on the inside, are you?" Hiccup commented when Freyr sat back beside him.

Hailstorm made his way over as well, gently placing his head on his rider's lap and letting the little dragon sleep on his head. Both dragons started purring as the riders pet them.

"Everything we know about you guys is wrong." Hiccup mused.

Freyr snorted quietly. "I could have told you that years ago." He commented jokingly.
Hiccup glared lightly at him, but smiled again when he saw how the light was shining over the healer. The setting sun cast a golden light over his face, his hair almost glowing because of it, and the gold in his eyes shining even brighter than he'd ever seen before.
Freyr looked over when Hiccup had been silent for a few minutes. This time he caught the blush that spread across the boy's face when he was caught. Freyr only smiled calmly in response. "We better be getting back. Don't forget your dad's 'posed to be getting back today."
With another smile, Freyr stood up and offered Hiccup his hand.

Hiccup's blushed stayed for the entire ride back to the village. Every time he would glance over at Freyr, it would burn twice as bright.