11. No Strings

Audra dropped the plank of wood to the ground with a thud. She picked up the crinkled instructions and thumbed through the pages. Blowing the stray wisps of hair out of her face, she sighed at the lack of tools at her disposal.

The shelving unit she'd bought second-hand didn't mention it came in pieces. No matter how much she wanted to deny it, it was a two-person job. She hated asking for help. She didn't like owing other people.

Tossing the flimsy instructions away, she pocketed a few nuts and bolts, convinced she was missing a few. Grabbing her tote bag and keys, she exited the front of the studio, locking up behind her. She checked her watch before crossing the street and heading to the coffee shop to beat the lunch rush.

She winced at her reflection in the window. Strands of her short blonde hair stuck to her forehead, a sheen of sweat coating her skin. The new tote bag hanging off her shoulder was the only thing that looked put together.

A bell rang as she opened the door, signaling her arrival. The dull hum of jazz music filled the shop, and a few customers dotted around. Audra stopped in the doorway as the tall, dark-haired guy behind the counter came into view. Her stomach twisted at the sight of him. She hadn't seen Jay for a week since her chat with Bobby.

He smiled when she stopped at the cash register, the faint dimples setting in his cheeks. She wondered how he could smile at the mere sight of her.

In his hand was a small takeaway espresso cup, silver rings adorned his fingers, and a small tattoo on his thumb. He'd swapped the usual shirt and trousers for a baggy t-shirt, shorts, grey ankle socks, and high-top trainers. A black duffle bag slung over his shoulder, a thick ribbon of white fabric tumbling out of the outer pocket.

Audra nodded in greeting Jay, her attention going to Jen and ordering a coffee. She busied herself, scrolling through her phone but could feel his piercing stare to her right.

The warning her brother gave her was enough to keep her at bay. She'd be polite and acknowledge Jay. That was all there'd be.

Thanking Jen for her coffee, she bid her goodbye and exited the shop without another glance at Jay. As she was about to open the door, a hand pushed against the glass, a tattooed thumb telling her all she needed to know.

"Hey, Auds."

Audra hadn't realised she'd stopped, his breath fanning against the shell of her ear. A shiver ran up her neck, her feet moving outside to put more space between them. "Jay, hello." She stumbled onto the pavement, much like her words stuttering in response.

Jay couldn't fight the pull of his lips, the effect he had on Audra in plain sight. He edged closer and leaned down to peer at her phone. "What you doing?" His gaze seemed to flitter to her whenever he saw the platinum blonde. Her movements were light and delicate as she tapped on her screen.

"Trying to find out a size of a bolt." Her shaped brows twitched, a frown leaving a dent in the center of her forehead. She pulled a rusty bolt from her overall pocket and examined it, rolling the metal between her fingers.

He bit the inside of his cheek, trying not to laugh. Jay took the bolt from Audra, ignoring how her hand retreated from his touch. "Just take this to the tool shop and ask." He rolled the rusty metal between his finger and thumb, tongue swiping along his bottom lip, deep in thought.

"I know that." She snatched the bolt back and pocketed it again.

The denim dungarees she wore were similar to the ones she used to wear during her summer job, painting murals around the small town for seasonal events. Jay lifted the off-white strap draped over her shoulder and adjusted it back into place near the brass buckle of her dungarees. The ghost of his touch caused her to shiver as his hand fell back to his side.