Chapter 15: "I'm never happy."

Start from the beginning

"Enough! We need to leave now. Get out of the water!" Zuko screamed out. I just stood there awkwardly, kind of wanting a bath myself.

"Very well!" Iroh exclaimed, beginning to get out of the water. Before I could react, darkness encapsulate my sight, and Zuko had his palms over my eyes.

"On second thought, why don't you take another few minutes? But be back at the ship in a half-hour, or I'm leaving without you!" He said, swivelling me around and marching me out of the clearing. We walked, well he walked, and I stumbled around blindly.

I tripped slightly, and Zuko took his hands off my eyes, realising he had been holding them over mine for too long.

"Sorry," He muttered, charging away at a groundbreaking pace.

It felt like a few hours had passed since we saw Iroh

It felt like a few hours had passed since we saw Iroh. Zuko meditated at the top of the ship, but not really. He was tapping his fingers erratically on his knees and kept opening his eyes every few minutes. I watched him atop where the Helmsman worked and peered at him from above.

It was like he was always on fire, but I understood the feeling. Firebenders were either eerily calm or always feeling and moving. I had to twitch and move a lot, just like Zuko, fiddling with my bracelet, tapping my foot, tucking strands behind my ears, whatever. But Earth grounded me, when I stepped onto land, I was more at peace. The metal ship didn't help, it just floated further and further away from my base.

I got sick of watching Zuko glance back and forth from the tree line to the ocean. I climbed down the steel ladder, jumping down at the fourth step from the bottom. Zuko jumped at the sudden sound. He looked back to glare at me.

"Do you mind? I was trying to meditate." He grunted out, trying to compose himself. I snorted.

"You weren't doing too well on your own", I retorted, giggling. He got up, sighing exasperatedly.

But Iroh wasn't back yet, and that was the reason he couldn't keep calm. I looked to the tree, wondering if he had fallen asleep in the springs.

"We should go get your uncle," I finally said. He nodded, running off to round up some soldiers, obviously feeling worried.