Chapter 10: "I don't think we have to hate each other, Zuko."

I sat on the floor of the deck, my legs hanging through the gaps in the railing. It was late at night, and I couldn't sleep. It wasn't as cold anymore, thankfully. We were still in pursuit of the Avatar, and I was doing my best to track his trail, but it was a bit hard if his trail was in the bloody sky. Still, I think we were heading in somewhat of the same direction.

I sent off my letter to the Dai Li, and in return, I got my paycheck. But not a new bird, I thought as I looked at the fresh cut on my hand. I ran my fingers absentmindedly over the metal rail, tracing over the grooves and bumps. I heard a metal door swing open and footsteps approach. I looked back at the opened door and saw Prince Zuko standing there.

He seemed surprised to see me there.

"Oh, sorry-"

"It's fine, Zuko. Can't sleep?" I asked.

He nodded. I gestured my hand next to me, suggesting he sit. He was in loose, linen, sleeping clothes. He hesitated for a moment, then awkwardly sat down next to me, leaving plenty of room for the Fire Lord. I stared back out at the sea through the gaps in the metal. I spoke again.

"I never got to thank you for saving my life. I feel like you've been doing that a lot lately." He shrugged in response as if it was no big deal.

"I also wanted to apologise," I admitted. He looked a little taken aback.

"For what?" He asked.

"I said some things about the Fire Lord, or I suppose your father, that I shouldn't have. It's not my place." I confessed. After Zuko saved my life, I thought back to one of our first conversations (one out of the many five or six we've had). Whatever reservations I had about Fire Lord Ozai didn't matter because right then, I was Fire Nation, and he was Zuko's father, no matter what.

He was silent for a little while. Then he found something to say. "It's ok..." His response was weak, and it made me think Zuko didn't really like to discuss his father. We sat in silence for a moment until I spoke.

"I don't think we have to hate each other, Zuko." I paused to look at him. He was looking at me at first but then quickly diverted his attention to the extremely interesting open sea. He didn't say anything. I began again.

"I think we can be friends," I suggested. His gaze was unmoving as he spoke.

"I don't have friends." He declared, sounding so sure of himself. I smiled, and I think I caught him looking over at me through the corner of his eye.

"Well, you have one now. Good night, Zuko." I said, getting up and walking down to the quarters, leaving him still sitting on the deck.

It was late morning, and we were making our way to a Fire Nation military port in the Earth Kingdom

It was late morning, and we were making our way to a Fire Nation military port in the Earth Kingdom. Our ship was in ruins, having had the Avatar wreak havoc on it. Our ship made port amongst many other larger Fire Nation ships. I tagged along with Zuko and Iroh, heading down the rail. I wasn't necessarily needed, but Iroh seemed to like my company, so he allowed me to come along.