04 - hospital

I hear beeping of a heart monitor. I open my eyes and try not to panic. I was in a hospital. There seemed to be bandages over my arms and I suddenly became aware of the most extreme pain in my head.

Someone is holding my hand. I mutter something vague and close my eyes again.

"Wait- no- Jenna don't fall asleep again! Please stay awake." I hear Megamind say. I squeeze his hand. I'm so tired.

"What happened?" I say, my eyes still closed.

"You were in a car accident."

"Pff.. I don't even drive."

"A car was speeding and crashed through the window into you. It's a miracle you weren't killed. Please look at me."

I open my eyes and look at him. He looks awful. He has dark circles under his eyes and looks like he hasn't shaved in days.

"Oh god. Am I ugly now? Holy shit." I put my hand to my face to feel bandage and slivers of skin. I feel like throwing up.

"Hey don't do that— you're still as beautiful as you were before." He stands up and grabs my other hand too.

What?

"What?"

"Shit. Sorry. That was my fault. I shouldn't have said that."

What does he mean?

Oh

Oh.

"It's okay. Please don't be upset. What time is it.. Jesus Christ."

"It's been about a week since the accident." He grips my hand. He looks concerned.

"What are the nurses saying?"

"They said you've been stable, you're a fighter. They're expecting a fast recovery." He smiles.

Ugh. That smile. I close my eyes again and lean my head back onto the pillow.