Chapter Thirty: ALEX

After picking Cricket up from Caleb's, she shoved her keys into her door with a huff. Once she was in, she didn't notice how she slammed the door or spilt some dog food when she was pouring. She was thinking.

Jake was right, there was no point denying it. She didn't want to get her hands dirty. She was scared of putting herself in real danger and it had led to her foolishly believing The King would listen, just like that. It was more a hope, she guessed. A hope that she'd listen so she wouldn't have to, as Jake said, leave her bubble.

But she wanted to help people, she knew that much. That was why she'd chosen to become a teacher. So, him telling her she wasn't helping and was actually making it worse? It hurt. It stung. She was helpful. She was!

But how am I meant to help when I'm stuck here?

Alex looked at her bookshelf. She may not be great at leading a Rebellion, but what she was great at was discovering things. She'd picked history for that reason—discovery was exhilarating. And as she approached her bookshelf, she saw something that could help.

How to Set the Board on Fire. It was a book by C.M. Walker. It detailed the importance of each piece as well as techniques on how to win a chess match. She remembered buying it to learn about the real game of chess that the past generations had modelled society off. What she didn't remember was what it said.

Gently, she dragged her fingers over the rough, black cover and sunk into her sofa. Maybe there was something in there that would shed some light on the situation. Something useful that would mean she was too.

It was barely a few minutes after Cricket settled in her dog bed that Alex found it. It was in the first chapter, the one illustrating the uses of the pieces in a chess game.

PAWNS CAN ONLY MOVE ONE PLACE, EXCLUDING THEIR FIRST TURN.

Because of this, the lowest class will be Pawns. They do not have the resources to make an impact. However, in numbers, they can block off other pieces such as Bishops. Pawns should be carefully monitored in the future and, in chess, if left too long, they can become a problem.

ROOKS CAN MOVE IN STRAIGHT LINES.

Above Pawns will be Rooks as they can go far if they try but are often obstructed by external factors such as wealth and distrust. However, they are also severely underestimated and forgotten.

KNIGHTS MOVE IN AN L-SHAPED PATTERN.

The middle class will be Knights. This is because they are, as the game dictates, in the middle, in a way. They have the ability to blend with either the lower pieces or the upper pieces as they wish depending on their motivation. They have choice.

BISHOPS CAN ONLY MOVE DIAGNALLY.

Bishops are easily useful on both sides of the board, on defence and offence. The same goes for the privileged and wealthy. They can aid the poor should they desire, or they can further progress with their wealth and education.

Bishops also do not need to be close to the action and can attack from safety. The same goes for this class. However, this can backfire into haughtiness and reluctance.

THE QUEEN CAN MOVE HOWEVER THEY WISH (WITH ONE EXCEPTION).

The Queen is the most powerful attacker on the board, but not the most valuable. It is because of this that caused the elite part of the upper class, those below only The King himself, to be elected Queens. Their mobility and strengths are vast due to their education, access and wealth. On the other hand, the Queen cannot move like a Knight. Knights are the one thing the Queen cannot decipher and the same applies in the real world. They cannot understand how someone can sit in the middle of lower and upper class and, because of this, Knights can be their greatest weakness.