Chapter Eight: ALEX

We haven't spoken in a while, are you doing okay? x

Alex marked the text as read and closed her phone, leaning back on her chair to look at her work. There was a reason she hadn't spoken to her father in a while, but she didn't know how much longer she could put it off for. And however much she hated what his work at The Set was letting happen, she still missed him and Lisa.

She frowned, running a finger over the stamp on the letter, then across her notes she'd made about her findings from the night before at Kieran's house. She was getting nowhere, and Kieran hadn't been at school since. With a nod, she packed up the files and opened Brennan's contact.

It was time to talk to Lisa.

***

"It looks great!" Brennan said as Alex set down dinner. She smiled.

"It'll be nothing like Lisa's cooking, but I reckon it'll do." she said.

"Oh, it'll more than do," Lisa eyed it hungrily as Alex brought the glasses, "I'm so hungry I think I could eat anything."

"Ah," Alex sat down, "So my cooking only passes because you're that hungry."

"No!" Lisa said, "That's not what I meant, and you know it."

Alex poked her, "I think that's exactly what you meant."

After sticking her tongue out, Lisa stuck into the pasta.

When Alex felt as though she might throw up from making conversation, Lisa finally finished and Alex went to load the dishwasher.

"Nope," Brennan scooped up the plates, "You made the food, you get to sit now."

With a smile as she watched him go with Cricket padding after him, Alex looked at Lisa.

She had to choose her words carefully and she had to choose them fast. She didn't have long, and she didn't want to tip Lisa off if she was involved. This had to be done delicately. Plus, she was his fiancé, and everyone knew loving someone made for some pretty foolish decisions.

"So, I wanted to ask you something," She said. Lisa looked at her.

"Fire away,"

"Well," Alex said, "I have this kid I teach, a sixteen-year-old boy, and he's going through some stuff right now. But I don't really know what to do about it because, well, he's a Pawn."

Lisa frowned, "Why does that matter?"

Alex had to keep in the smile that filled her head with hope—that didn't mean she wasn't in on it. She could still be lying. It could be a front.

"Well, you know, Pawns..." she said, lifting her glass to her mouth.

"No, no I don't know. They're just people, why would that make a difference with how you can help the kid?" Lisa's puzzled, slightly irritated look was reassuring, especially as it seemed to be sincere. And Alex didn't for a second think Lisa could lie well enough to pull it off.

"You don't have to lie about it, they're just commodities, huh?" Alex said. Her tongue tried to strangle itself saying it, but she managed to get it out. It probably sounded a little strangled and weird, but she got it out.

Lisa's horrified face was enough. There was no reason why she would disagree with her if she was in on it because it'd be far easier to simply agree. What Alex was saying was supportive of Brennan's ideals after all.

"Alex?" Brennan called in from the kitchen, "Can Cricket eat these leftovers?"

"Yeah, she's good with all the ingredients." Alex said.