Chapter Forty: ALEX

She didn't know how to feel, really. So, she just let it happen. When the strange sense of contentment mingled with her sadness, she didn't push it away or feel any guilt. Because she hadn't just stood there—she'd done it herself. Cricket was led in the fountain, waiting for the vet to arrive. Jake was next to her, and Sophie was back with her family. Everything would be fine. If she knew where to go, that was. Across the plaza were the others. Piper was holding her phone and smiling. They were on face time to Nia, showing her they got the vandal. Lisa was there too, and they finally let her be. Charlie stood behind them, pulling funny faces at the camera, making Faye laugh.

Jake stood up, leaving her and making an appearance on face time for Nia. Alex watched him laugh, Charlie bragging about his 'epic' save on the motorbike. His words, not hers. Sophie ran from her parents, jumping on Jake's back until he gave her a ride.

And Alex just watched, smiling.

Yeah, she thought. Everything will be fine.

Jake seemed to notice her absence, looking around before locking eyes with her. He let go of Sophie's legs, letting her get off, and approached.

"Hey," he said, standing in front of her and avoiding her gaze, "How about we stick around? Each other, I mean."

Alex looked up at him from her seat on the steps and gestured to her cane. "I can in fact, stick around, yes."

Jake's unamused look sold it.

"Come on." He said, chuckling and holding out his hand. Her lips parted as she stared at it, open and welcoming. Her mind flashed back to Caleb. She pushed him away. Caleb was gone. Jake was here. Looking up at him, Alex smiled. Clasping her hand around his, she took it.

When she first met him, she thought he was a criminal. She thought The Set was the only way. In the same respect, he believed she was nothing but a Bishop sticking her nose where it didn't belong, and that Pawns were the only people being persecuted.

They were both wrong. But sometimes it paid to be wrong. It took some pain, some suffering, but neither of them could learn without the other. Sure, they'd both lost loved ones and sure, they'd both cried more times in the past few weeks than in the past few years, but in the end, it was worth it.

There was nothing worse than ignoring what was around you and refusing to think outside the box.

But there was nothing better than when she had him over for dinner. Or when they all went to Darlseys, or the countless times Charlie had forced them to a theme park and got donut sugar all over his nose. Even visiting her father in prison hadn't been so bad.

So sure, the injustice would never be completely gone, Caleb would come out of prison eventually, after all. And sure, the world wasn't perfect. But Alex accepted that it never would be, and that the life she had now was better than it was.

And there really was nothing better than that.