Chapter Twenty-Seven: 2/2

Start from the beginning

Every day felt just as awful, time wasn't doing anything to heal these wounds and I knew I would never be whole again; I could just try to be the closest thing to it for my family and friends. I've adopted Dixon. She was my legal daughter now. It seems crazy to even think about it but somehow it gave me purpose. that little girl I gave my jacket to all of those years ago, now had three of her own. She never had to worry about anything anymore.

The only thing missing was ... him.

"You did so good baby!" My mom says as she took me into a hug. "I would have never thought to see you on a stage before." She says as she kisses my cheek with a wet kiss.

"Mom!" I yell and wipe off the kiss. She laughs and it's good to see her happy again.

"You were amazing kiddo," Gander says from next to her and I flash him a warm smile. I'll never forget the hurt that he caused me growing up, but I can acknowledge that he is staying around this time and he is making my mother happy. Happier than I have ever seen her.

"When Liz told me you were doing this, I thought she was messing with me," Finnic says before scooping me up in his arms and spinning me around, my feet dangling from his height. I press my cheek against his chest enjoying having him close to me again. After those first six months of keeping everyone at a distance, it felt so good to have them all close to me again.

"I am so stocked!" Liz screams in my ear and I glance at her as Finnic sits me down. She is drunk. I giggle at her and hug her, trying to soak in her good mood. Liz was always so open with her emotions you could read them all over her face.

"I love you," I say. "But I'm going to beat you for inviting everyone here." She slaps my shoulder playfully.

"No way was I letting everyone miss out on this once-in-a-lifetime performance." She slurs out her words and almost falls over but Finnic catches her and I excuse myself from the happy couple to go see Dixon. She was beaming a lot more than she has been the past year. I'm glad I could at least make her smile for once. We have both been depressed without Harley in our life, we moped around but at least we moped around together. It bonded us for life that was for sure.

"I never knew you could sing like that." She says with sparkles in her life. "I haven't even heard you sing in the shower."

"The only one that knew was your brother," I say with a sad smile. "Not anymore though. I'm glad your here."

She wraps me up in her arms and I chuckle slightly. I was getting bombarded with hugs tonight and I was here for it. So, when we finally let go of each other I looked at Jared and held out my arms.

he starts shaking his head quickly. "Madeline, don't you dare."

I move in closer and closer stalking him like he was my prey. I half expected him to run but he just sighs heavily and holds out his arms.

I jump at the opportunity because like listening to me sing at the bar was a once-in-a-lifetime situation, so was getting a hug from Jared.

"You've come a long way." He whispers on the top of my head, and I hug him tighter.

I let go of him before he makes me cry. Jared had been there through everything and he unlike everyone else knew exactly how bad off I had got.

"Where is mine?" Gale pouts as he throws his arms out waiting on a hug from me. I guess I might as well it looks like nearly everyone else here has stolen one.

I hug him tightly. "Thank you for watching after her when I can't. You're the best."

"It's my job." I smack his shoulder because I knew gale cared for her, after that night we were kidnapped, he has been attached to her hip near it. Too scared to leave her alone for a second. I didn't blame him though because even with Harley in a coma and Vickers dead, we needed to keep a close eye on everything. We were still targets, weak points for The Voiceless.

I don't think we would have a problem with getting Ben to act on something before it got out of hand now though. he had learned his lesson with his heir in a coma, which he may never wake up from.

So instead of being in the background, Jared and Gale had made themself part of the family and then explain who they were to everyone else we would always just say buddies of Harley. No need to get into detail about it. I was never too good of a liar.

I can say they have made this year a little more manageable. My phone rings in my back pocket. I take the device out and excuse myself from everyone as I head to the front door. that way I could hear whoever was calling me. there would be no way I could make out what they were saying with all of this noise.

"Miss Hansel?" A professional man's voice echoes through the lines.

"Yes. Who is this?" The voice doesn't sound familiar.

"It has you listed here as Mr. Walker's emergency contact." He says with a bland voice. Oh god no, don't tell me he's left me. Don't tell me he's gone for good.

"Yes?" I knew my voice was shaking. I was terrified. I couldn't handle this. I know I seemed stronger, but I wasn't that strong. I wasn't strong enough to look at him forever.

"He is awake."

-.-.-.-.-
Don't forget to vote and comment. Thank you❤️