12. For Better Or Worse

Three Months Later
***

Rashad's P.O.V
***
The sun beams down on my face as I wiped away the car wash residue from Royalty's truck a second time.

I wiped dripping sweat from my forehead, catching a glimpse of the wedding band of my finger.

I smile in satisfaction. Then it fades away.

After finding out about baby boy, I managed to convince Royalty to elope and have the big ceremony later. I know it was selfish, but I had my reasons. And at the time, it all seemed valid.

My phone chimes in my pocket.

From: C.C 🍬
Hey, Power's coming home tomorrow. Hope you told your lady. I could really use your help getting settled. - Sent at 11:00 a.m

***
Royalty's P.O.V

I remember one day my mother had sat me between her knees. She combed my hair and sang to me like she'd always do. And then her ring got stuck in my hair.

Immediately struck by agony, I got upset and asked her why did daddy give her that stupid ring anyway. She took it off and put in my hand before telling me it's not a stupid ring, it's a constant reminder of the life long commitment she made to my father.

I was only five then. I had no way of knowing what she could've meant. But now that I'm older with a ring of my own, I think I figured it out.

It wasn't about the ring.

It was about the way she and my father had loved  each other to the ends of the earth. The way they took care of each other wanting nothing in return but a smile. It was the way they guarded each other's hearts with their own. The way my father protected her with his life. The way they chose each other over anyone else.

It was the way they loved each other, even when circumstances said hate each other.

***
I don't wanna fall so fast
But I'm open
They always say that good things never last
And I know 'cause I've been broken
I'm tryin' to protect my heart
But you're making it so hard
And I guess it's safe to say
You take my pain away

And I just wanna hold you all night long
Whenever I'm around you, nothing's wrong
I'm hoping that you'll always be around
You got me on a high, I don't wanna come down
And I love it, I love it

I sang along to 'Queen Naija' as I curled the last strand of my hair, cooing in the mirror.

"Hey you," He calls.

I nearly jump out of my skin.

"Jesus Rashad!" I complain, with my hand over my rapidly beating heart.

He leans against the door frame, in a fit of laughter.

"If you ain't have these lil mushy tunes up so loud you woulda heard the elevator come up." He defends as he approaches me.