Chapter 3 ✧

A New Beginning

POV:Kate

The next few days at school were kind of rough, but not only for me

The next few days at school were kind of rough, but not only for me. After Edward hadn't shown up to school, Bella stopped showing up too. Nobody knew if she was sick or if it had something to do with Edward. My money was on the latter. I didn't really have anything to do with her, but still, it was kind of concerning.

I still eat with her friends and that's all they practically talked about. Understandable considering she is their friend, but sometimes the things they say sound mean spirited. Jessica said that she and Edward broke up, but she wasn't really sure. Every time she calls Bella, she hangs up on her. It's the same with her other friends.

And then after some time, Bella came back, but she was different. Her aura used to be happy, comfortable, and then Edward didn't come to school anymore. Now all I see is misery. I'm not sure if that's normal, and I don't know what happened between them, but I do know that he broke her.

She sits alone and doesn't talk to anyone. Her shoulders are slumped, and her eyes are looking down at the table, tired and lifeless. Forks is getting more and more depressing. Not only is it always raining, but Bella's mood seems to effect the entire group. They are trying to keep everything as normal and happy as possible, but the situation with Bella is worrying them more than they lead on. To be honest, I didn't expect them to be this empathic.

Not that I'm any better than Bella. All I'm doing is engaging in small talk and talk as little as possible. Even when they try to joke here and there, I can't bring myself to laugh. Not even a fake one.

I haven't heard from my mother, and all I can do is hope that she is doing okay.

But right now at this moment my biggest concern is Jessica, because she is trying to invite me. To hang out with her. And Bella. Apparently, Bella's father had some fit about her not being okay and having to leave Forks, so she wants to go out with Jessica to prove to her dad that she is fine. Pretty convincing. Totally not out of the blue.

The only problem is that she wants it to be a girl's night and Angela can't come because she has plans with her boyfriend. "Please, Kate, I'm serious. It's going to be fine, it's just I think there shouldn't be couples because you know Bella just got broken up with, and I honestly don't know who else to ask."

I'm not going to lie, I like it when Jessica is begging like that, it knocks her off her high horse. And my mother told me to be like a teen, so yeah, why not try it.

"Okay, I'm joining you guys, just don't leave me alone with her. I've never spoken to her alone, that's gonna be awkward. And I hate awkward." I look over to the table where Bella sits alone. Honestly, what harm could one day do.

"Oh, don't be silly, it's only going to be awkward if you make it awkward. And good that you said yes because I already told her that you were coming with us." She said the last part while making her way to class. I was watching her leave with an open mouth. That interaction boosted her ego, I just know it.