162 A Stolen Moment

The two of them looked at each other, one of them looking calm while the other was clearly in a bad mood. Ordinarily, he might have listened to Qiu Ling's explanations but he had already been angry about Xin Lan refusing to treat him well even though they obviously liked each other so he felt especially vexed that a good couple like Qiu Ling and Jing He was being torn apart.

He pursed his lips again and thought about what to do. If Qiu Ling didn't want to go against his lover's father ... they could just ignore him. Anyway, wasn't it just important that Qiu Ling could be with his lover? They had to find an opportunity when Qiu Ling could see him without his father around. If there wasn't one ... well, they could make one.

Thinking of this solution, Xiang Yu's expression finally eased up. As a fallen god, he naturally had no trouble finding out whether Jing He was alone or not even without being there. He reached up and touched the Mark of Wisdom, quietly listening to the voice that told him about what was currently going on in the Nine Heavens. It seemed ... now was the perfect moment?

Xiang Yu blinked his eyes but then didn't think any longer. Since they had coincidentally talked about this just now and managed to find the perfect chance, this was basically a sign of fate!

He reached out and opened a portal behind Qiu Ling before quickly pushing him through. Having finished, he closed it up and smiled to himself. Well, he might not be able to do anything about Xin Lan but he could still help Qiu Ling and his lover. In fact, since they were now together, it was best if he kept an eye on Jing He's father so he wouldn't disturb them.

While Xiang Yu started to spy on the Heavenly Emperor, Qiu Ling fell to the ground in Jing He's study. He quickly jumped to his feet though. He didn't need a second thought to figure out just where Xiang Yu would send him after talking about how pitiful it was that he couldn't see his Jing He. So, he could only cover up the blunder just now so his beloved wouldn't feel he was lacking.

He cleared his throat with some embarrassment and then quickly pulled Jing He into his arms who was looking at him in a daze. "Mn, I finally managed to get you alone for a moment." Qiu Ling used the opportunity to rub his back gently but his gaze slipped to the door to the garden. He could see the edge of an armor just like how the heavenly guards were wearing them. Clearly, his beloved wasn't as unguarded as it had seemed at first.

Jing He closed his eyes when he realized that he hadn't been hallucinating just now. Qiu Ling had indeed appeared behind him just when he was thinking about him. He didn't know how but he was just glad that it was the case. His fingers curled around the fabric of Qiu Ling's robe and he buried his head at the side of his neck, suddenly feeling overwhelmed.

He had missed him so much. These weeks, the days had seemed endless because he wasn't able to see him even once. Every morning he got up, he dreaded the hours to come because he knew his father wouldn't simply relax his guard so Qiu Ling could sneak in or even suddenly change his tune and allow him to come by whether that was under tight observation or while they were alone.

Now, it finally didn't matter any longer. He was here and they were together. Even if it was simply a stolen moment before they would have to part again, it was enough. For a while, it would truly be enough. It could lend him some strength to hold on for just a little longer.

Feeling Jing He melt into his arms, Qiu Ling's brows rose. Actually, he probably shouldn't be surprised. Before this, they had usually spent every day together. When they hadn't in the week after Jing He's trial ended, he had been distraught over not seeing him. Then, after just making up, almost three weeks had now gone by. Of course, he would feel worried and try to find solace as soon as they were able to meet up again.

Thinking of this, Qiu Ling tightened his grasp around Jing He's slender figure. At the same time, he thought about using his spiritual energy to close the door of the study so the guards outside wouldn't accidentally spot him. He finally stopped himself though. The regular sounds of their voices wouldn't travel outside thanks to the array beneath the palace but spiritual energy fluctuations could very well be felt. They might not find such a small amount suspicious but it was better to be safe than sorry.

Qiu Ling sighed and then tilted his head to kiss Jing He's cheek. "Let's close the door before the guards see me. It's good enough that I was able to sneak in once. There might not be a next time if they catch me."

Jing He nodded and hastily let go of him, folding his hands in front of his body.

Qiu Ling looked at him deeply, feeling as if they hadn't seen each other for an eternity. Even after the trial, he might not have felt as strongly.

Closing his eyes for a moment, he took a deep breath and then went to close the door as silently as possible. As soon as he was done, he turned back, pulling Jing He into his arms again. "I'll stay for as long as I can. If your father returns ... well, we'll see about that then." He could only smile wryly as he said that. Of course, he was also very much aware that nothing had been solved yet. This was only a stolen moment.