128 Too Stubborn to Accept Anyone

Qiang Yan had to admit that he thought the same. Yes, Jing He wouldn't like this. In his mind, he had long made up this perfect image not only for himself but also for them as a couple. The future Heavenly Emperor and the king of the dragon race, a symbiosis of the two partners of their alliance against the demons, the combination of the peak of magical and physical abilities — that was how he had likely framed this in his mind.

Now, this beautiful picture he clung to would shatter all at once. Yes, their positions remained but, honestly, Qiu Ling's might be shakier than they had realized if this ever came to light. As for being allies in the fight against the demons, that kind of argument in favor of their relationship would leave a bad taste in his mouth if he knew that his spouse was actually part of that race.

And as for their abilities, Jing He was the type to worry too much so he might even start to wonder what kind of abilities their future child might inherit. If there was a chance that it could be the dark energy of the demons ... well, that would be a disaster.

Qiang Yan rubbed his forehead, telling himself that he shouldn't be like Jing He and overthink this matter. Inheriting abilities from the demon race if only Qiu Ling had demon blood and if not even half his blood was demonic was rather unlikely. So at least in that regard, they shouldn't have to worry. The rest ... it would work out somehow.

He sighed and lowered his hand, returning Qiu Ling's wry smile. "Don't worry. He loves you. Yes, he'll be worried about this but he loves you nonetheless. This won't cause your relationship to break down."

Qiu Ling nodded, hoping that this was indeed the case. He couldn't lose Jing He. There had never been a doubt about that but this trial made it even clearer. There was just no way for him to ever be without this person.

He took a deep breath and tried not to think about it any further. For now, it was good that at least Jing He's uncle was able to look past this. Maybe he could even help him later. Plus, maybe An Bai still had an idea of how to tell Jing He gently. Anyway, his parentage couldn't be changed. He could only come clean about it and hope for the best.

Compared to that, there was another matter that was more important to think about: the Heavenly Emperor and his attitude toward their relationship.

Qiu Ling glanced at the Heavenly Empress before turning back to the God of War. "Let's assume telling him goes well. After that, everything on our side will have been dealt with. There is still his father though."

Qiang Yan nodded. "He won't be happy about this. That much is for sure."

"Yes, I don't doubt that either. In fact, I am sure that he will try to convince Jing He not to marry me. Maybe he'll even go further than that and come up with some scheme to prevent it from happening regardless of our feelings. I'd like to be prepared for that."

Qiang Yan kept quiet. Being prepared ... He didn't think that there was much that could be done. "Do you have any specific ideas? Because, frankly, I can't think of anything you could do to make Rong Su agree to this. He absolutely won't give up without a fight and definitely not in a short amount of time."

"That is precisely what I worry about. I can come here and ask for the Heavenly Empress' blessing with the knowledge that while she might not agree directly and put some restrictions on this, those restrictions will be fair to me.

"She'll want Jing He to agree, maybe she'll want some compromise for the wedding ceremony, or ... something I have to swear to uphold after we get married. But whatever she asks, she won't just categorically deny me this chance. Her husband will though."

Qiu Ling furrowed his brows, feeling even more that it was hopeless when he described it like this. "He hates me. I ... I can understand, to a certain degree. He had a different image of his future son-in-law. We also never saw eye to eye before I met Jing He. So this really isn't surprising. I can't see a way to change it either.

"My behavior ... hasn't been too bad. Yes, there were mistakes but I've always treated Jing He well. I've learned about the customs of the gods bit by bit and I am willing to continue. I can compromise on a lot of matters as long as I am allowed to marry Jing He. But I don't think any of that would move him. He'll just ignore it."

Qiang Yan didn't know what to say. What Qiu Ling said was unfortunately a fact. Rong Su was ... stubborn to say it nicely. Maybe it wouldn't even be wrong to call him obstinate. When it came to Jing He's relationship, it was definitely the latter.

In fact, maybe it was wrong to say that he was opposed to Qiu Ling. The truth of the matter was that in his eyes nobody would be good enough for his son. More than that, he didn't want Jing He to get into a relationship irrespective of who it was with.

Rong Su had guarded this child for two thousand years and he was unable to accept that Jing He had now come of age and should start to live his own life. To him, as long as Jing He obediently stayed in his palace and accompanied him or his mother every now and then, it would be for the best. Finding a husband or whatnot, how could that even be considered? Just like Jing He held himself to an impossible standard, Rong Su was doing the same, wanting to press his son into a mold that could not be changed no matter what.