Chapter 15: One Romantic Knight

I walked to my office and opened my contacts on my phone. Bo's number was at the very top. I took a deep breath and called him.
It rang once, twice, three times...
By the fourth ring, I was just about certain he wasn't going to answer.
Then I heard him speak.
"You butt-dial me?" He asked as soon as he picked up.
"No, it was intentional."
"Well, what do you want? To harass me some more about my last name?"
Just as I had thought, he was mad at me.
"I wanted to invite you to my workplace," I said, trying to change the subject.
"Why?"
"You seemed like you were very interested in Kitt, so I thought I'd introduce him to you." I lied.
"Oh well, thank you, but no thank you." He replied.
"May I ask why not?"
"Because based on your reaction to my last name, it seems that you know of my Uncle's business."
"I'm sorry I yelled at you Bowie, I wasn't thinking."
"First off, Bo, I accept your apology, but I still think you're trying to set me up."
"Opposite."
"What do you mean?"
"I'm setting up F.L.A.G." I lied.
"How so?"
"They think I'm calling you right now to set you up, but I'm calling you because I know where Karr is, I could slip him to you under the table, and if you have Karr, you can find Kitt."
"Susan, I appreciate your efforts, but I'm not part of my Uncle's business."
"Then why don't you come down to meet Kitt then?"
"Because I think you're setting me up."
"Bo, here is what is going to happen. These guys at F.L.A.G. take their jobs very seriously. Too seriously. Either A, you come here without an issue, or B, they come and take you here." I said. I wasn't trying to threaten him, not at all. I just wanted to try and give him a reason.
"Well, that isn't fair."
"If they capture you, I'll let you free, with some of the Knight Industries technology for your Uncle. Think of how proud of you he would be." I was persuaded.
"Fine, but you'll owe me."
"I'll stay true to my word," I said, then gave him the address.
What he didn't know was that I was tapping into his phone, I was tracking him. If he decided that he changed his mind, and turned around, I would know.
I walked back down to Dahlia. I was actually kind of saddened by my lies, but I did what I had to, right?
"Did he take the bait?" She asked as she sat on Kitt's hood.
"I had to put a little more on the hook, but he eventually took it."
"What did you do?"
"I told him that if he ended up getting 'captured' by the Foundation I would free him and give him some of our technology to give to his Uncle."
"So Marco Berio is his Uncle?" Kitt asked.
"Bingo."
"So what are you going to give him?" Dahlia asked.
"A tracking device."
"Slick." She said her smile widening.
"I'm worried though... What if he finds out that I sent him up... To the second power."
"He won't," Kitt said.
"How?" Dahlia and I said at the same time.
"If I am correct, he trusts you more than anyone, Susan, he would listen to you before he even considers listening to Dahlia. So he should if he is as gullible as I believe him to be, 'fall for it''' Kitt explained.
"Yeah, listen to Kitt Susan, he knows what he is talking about," Dahlia said, backing Kitt up.
"But you see, he doesn't. His theory is based on a 'what if' not a fact." I stated.
"I'd prefer to call it an educated guess, not a 'what if'" Kitt commented.
"Look, you bribed him into coming here, that was all we needed, everything will be fine," Dahlia said, turning away from the black car.
"But he agreed reluctantly." I tried to explain.
"Dahlia, I believe Susan is very stressed about Bo, because she has, as they say, 'feelings' for him" Kitt interjected.
"OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" Dahlia teased.
"Oh shut up," I said, my face getting warm and turning red.
"You just got exposed, dude." Dahlia continued to tease.
"Fine, fine, Kitt is right."
"I always am."
"Oh hush."
Dahlia began to chortle loudly. I just wanted to get away.
"I'm sorry Susan, I didn't mean to expose you like that." Kitt apologized.
"It's alright." I accepted.
"So, you have a crush on this guy?" She said.
"Yes okay, leave me alone about it," I said.
I feel more embarrassed now than ever. Why did I have to own up to it? Why must I be so dumb? The lights seemed brighter than they were before now, although they weren't, the sun just decided to show up.
"I'm picking up a 1977 Trans-Am pulling up into the front parking lot on my scanners," Kitt announced, disturbing me from my thoughts.
"That's your guy Dahlia," I said.
She walked out of the what-used-to-be loading dock, going to the front lobby. Most likely alerting the security guards.
"Should I go with her?" I asked aloud, not expecting an answer from anyone.
"He is your 'boyfriend'" Kitt said.
I jumped at Kitt's comment. I guess forgot that he could hear, or was even animate. Was Kitt animate? I mean, he could think, talk and hear, so I would say he fits in the group. But, he doesn't breathe, and he doesn't have a heart that beats, so technically he isn't alive.
"Yeah okay," I responded, then ran to catch up with Dahlia in the front of the building.
In the lobby, our receptionist sat behind her desk typing away on her computer. We didn't need a receptionist, but she did keep track of who was in and out of the building.
"Did you see where Dahlia went?" I asked her, catching her by surprise.
"Yes, the interrogation room. She was with the security guards and some random guy." She explained.
"Thanks," I said, then took off for the interrogation room. I guess what we call the interrogation room wasn't much of a room at all. It was an unused office. The way it became the interrogation room was simple. We needed a room for asking questions, so we just used an empty office cubicle.
As I approached, I could hear Quincy's deep bold voice booming out of the room. He was the interrogator. I assumed Dahlia doesn't like social interaction with people who she doesn't know very well. I walked slowly, I was nervous, what if Bowie decided he hates me now?
My watch buzzed.
"Based on the stats on your watch, I am noticing an increase in your heart rate, is everything alright?" Kitt had texted and asked.
"Yeah, fine," I responded shortly.
I then walked into the small 'interrogation' room.
Bowie noticed me instantly, his head turning towards me, probably fast enough to give him whiplash.
"Susan!" He exclaimed.
"Hi," I said, looking toward Sonia and Quincy.
"He seems to be what he says he is, Just Marco's niece," Quincy said, getting up from his seat.
"Yeah, so this was all unnecessary," Dahlia interjected.
"I'm sorry guys," I said
"No it's good, we got a lead," Sonia said.
Bowie turned away. He must have felt really bad like he betrayed his uncle.
"Can you guys leave, so I can get some one-on-one interrogation in?" I asked, lying slightly
"Yeah sure," Quincy said, taking the lead of the group leaving the room.
I watched as they closed the door behind them, then turned to Bowie, who had a look of guilt in his eyes.
"I'm not going to interrogate you any further, don't worry," I said, kneeling so I would be at his level as he sat in a small chair.
"Susan... I'm sorry I didn't tell you the truth right off the bat." He said.
"What do you mean?"
"I shoulda told you my last name the minute we met." He said.
"It's okay, you didn't know I work for F.L.A.G.," I said, "my tone lightning to show I wasn't angry at him."I have to admit, I didn't have the best reaction to it, and I apologize for that. I shouldn't have told you to leave like that.."
"I could never be mad at a pretty girl like you." He stated, a small smile spreading across his face.
I didn't know what it was just then. It was like a bolt of electricity zapping into my body. Something happened to me. Something I wasn't quite sure I liked. I felt lean in closer to Bo. Oh God Susan, what the heck are you doing?
I gently tapped his lips with mine. He pulled me into an embrace, not breaking the contact between the two of us. Both of our eyes were slammed shut, like a car door on a windy day. I felt my watch buzz, but ignored it, deepening my kiss with Bo.