Chapter 11: Endless Knight

Micheal heard me gasp and rushed over.
"What's wrong?" He said.
"There was an addition, it was to kill me," I said.
"How come he didn't run you over just then?" He asked.
"Because the person who did it, didn't erase his program to protect human life that I fixed," I said.
"So the two programs were just fighting with each other, trying to complete both tasks, but not succeeding at either." My Grandmother finished.
"Grandma? Do you know how I can buff up his firewall?" I asked.
"Yes, do you know the current password to get into his programming?" She said,
"How else would I have gotten access to it?" I said sarcastically.
"For now, change the password, make it something only you would know, but not something you would forget. It will make the current hacker lose access for now, later I will take a look and see if I can amp up the security." She said,
I changed the password to a combination of my first pet's name, my apartment number, and the last 4 digits of my phone number, which should be secure.
"I guess we can all take an individual car," Micheal said.
"I call the 2000!" I said before he could speak.
"But-"
"Micheal, let her." My Grandmother interrupted.
"I guess I'll take the 3000 then." He said, sounding disappointed.
"What's wrong with me?" The 3000 asked.
His question broke my heart a little, there wasn't anything wrong with him except the fact that he had been hacked. I guess the 2000 was just my favorite.
"Nothing." The 2000 said before any of us could think of something to respond to his question.
"Do you mean that?" The 3000 said.
"Sure, I mean, you didn't kill Susan right then, and it's not your fault that your program has been messed with." The 2000.
"Yay, you guys aren't fighting anymore!" I said.
"Don't get used to it." The two cars said at the same time.
I got inside the 2000, Micheal got in the 3000, and my Grandmother got in her Cutlass.
"Let's hit the road," I said to Kitt.
He started his engine, and got out of the parking lot, getting back on the highway towards my Grandmother's house.
"Kitt?" I said.
"Yes, Susan?" He responded.
"How did things go with Karr?" I asked.
"I think we are fine, however, he is very good at hiding what he thinks," Kitt said.
"So, would you refer to him as a family member?" I asked.
"Susan, I don't have a family." He mentioned
"That's not true," I said.
"What makes you say that? Kitt questioned.
" Family isn't always blood-related, it could just be the people around you. For example, my best friend, Dahlia, always calls me her sister, even though we aren't related at all." I explained.
"Would you say that Micheal and Bonnie are like my family?" Kitt asked.
"Are they always there for you when you need them?" I responded.
"Yes," Kitt answered.
"Then I would say they are," I confirmed.
"Susan, I find human relationships very confusing, would you mind explaining how they work?" He asked after a few moments.
"What about them is confusing?" I questioned.
"For example, Micheal and Bonnie, Micheal is your grandfather, but not married to your Grandmother, why is that?" He stated.
"Sometimes things don't work out, and besides, he is Micheal, I'm sure you know how many girls he has been with," I said, rolling my eyes at the thought of it.
"Fair, but what about other people like him?" He asked.
"Some people date for pleasure, some date out of what they thought was love, and others date just to say they did it," I said.
"I still don't understand Susan." He announced.
I put my hand in my pocket, I felt the slip of paper Bo had given me, then an idea popped into my head.
"Kitt, in a way, I don't either, relationships are mostly made of impulsive decisions," I said.
I pulled out my phone and typed Bo's number into it. If you want me to be entirely honest, he wasn't a bad-looking guy. He was taller than me, but unlike another boy I had a crush on, he didn't give me butterflies, but that was alright.
"Susan, what are you doing?" He asked as I began to type out a text to him.
"Texting Bo," I said.
"Is that the boy who gave you his number at the car show?" Kitt asked.
"Correct," I said.
"Susan, that could be dangerous," Kitt warned.
"I am aware," I said,
"Is this what you meant when you said relationships are made up of impulsive decisions?" Kitt said.
I rolled my eyes at him and sent the text. It said," Hello Bowie, this is Susan, the girl you met at the car show, I wanted to text you before I called to ensure I had the right number."
"For your information, Kitt, I do not have a crush on him, I just want to talk to him," I said.
"I've heard that one before," Kitt said snarkily.
"Kitt, what did he do to you?" I said.
"Nothing, however, a sweet girl like you may be an easy target for someone like him," Kitt explained.
"Are you saying that I can't take care of myself?" I said, raising my tone of voice.
"No, no, not at all, I'm just saying, I would hate to see you hurt by someone." He said.
"What did you talk to Karr about?" I asked, changing the topic.
"Well, I started by apologizing for what I've done to him, which seemed to be effective because he forgave me," Kitt stated.
"Well, that's good," I commented.
"He also said that he would forgive Micheal, if he showed sincere guilt, and apologized meaningfully," Kitt added.
"That's going to be tough," I said.
"You can say that again," Kitt said.
"At least he is forgiving, if I was him, I wouldn't be," I said.
"I think Bonnie may have erased some of his memory," Kitt commented.
"Why?" I asked.
"Because he was a little confused when I mentioned that he had fallen off of a cliff and ended up at a beach," Kitt said.
"I would think someone would remember an event like that." I agreed.
I looked out the windshield at the road in front of us. We didn't have much time until we returned to my Grandmother's house, about five minutes, but I did enjoy talking to Kitt. My watch buzzed again.
"Uh oh," Kitt commented.
"Oh stop it," I said sarcastically.
I looked at my watch to see what it was. Bo had texted back. His message said, "Hey Susan! I'm very glad you decided to text. I don't know why I even gave you my number in the first place, it was an impulsive decision, I didn't even expect you to contact me."
"What did it say?" Kitt asked eagerly.
I read the text to him.
"He doesn't seem all that bad," Kitt said after I had finished reading him the message.
"That's what I've been trying to tell you," I exclaimed.
"Oh." He said quietly.
I let out a soft chuckle.
The next thing I know, we pulled into the driveway of my Grandmother's house.