Chapter 2: Knight On the Road Again

That very next morning, I awoke to Michael shaking me.
"Huh, wha- " I mumbled.
"My jet is scheduled to leave in 30 minutes, I have some cereal in the kitchen for you if you'd like some breakfast," He informed me
I sat up and took a moment to gather my thoughts. I had forgotten that I had spent the night at Micheals's house. Micheal had left the room to do something else. I went down to the kitchen to grab something to eat, after all, I hadn't ate dinner last night. I ate some of the cereal he had left out for me. I was, as I said, not at all prepared for California, or the flight there. But Michael has that certain charm to him that prevented me from just saying no to his face, trust me, I would've.  I could hear him come down the stairs as I finished eating.
"Don't worry about cleaning that up, I'll have my cleaner do it when she comes in." He said.
I stood up and grabbed the one bag I had brought with me.
"You ready to go?" He asked.
I nodded
Micheal and I had gotten in his Mercedes. I have to admit, it is a very nice car. It had tan leather seats, a screen in it, kind of like my Tesla, a Navigations system, a sunroof, and heated seats. It also rode very smoothly for a gas car. It felt like we were gliding over the road instead of on it. I must mention the color of it too, it was a snowy white with metal flakes that glistened in the sunlight like glitter. If I looked very closely at the paint, there were flakes of other colors in it too.  The paint job on it must have cost a fortune.
As we entered the airport's gate, there was a man, flagging us down. Micheal parked the car in a spot that seemed to be reserved for him, then hopped out. I promptly followed after him, not wanting to be left behind.
"Everything is ready when you and your friend are, Mr. Knight." The man said as Micheal approached him.
Micheal nodded and followed him, signaling me to come with them. The man was shorter and seemed a bit older than Micheal. He was balding on the top of his head and wore a suit and tie. He spoke with what I inferred was an Italian accent, and he sounded rather sophisticated.
  He led me and Micheal to the private jet that had been awaiting us.
It didn't take very long for us to get up in the air, I'd say around 30 minutes. I tried to mind my own business during the flight, but that can be very awkward when you're flying with someone you barely know. Micheal sat on the other side of the plane, alone, doing something on his phone. I wondered how he ended up with so much money. I know that the foundation couldn't have paid him that much, considering most of it was volunteer work.  I wanted to break the silence, it made me feel oddly uncomfortable, but I couldn't. I couldn't summon the courage to go and talk to Micheal, even though we were on this mission together. I should get to know him more so the rest of the trip doesn't end in awkwardness like this, but I felt like I was glued to my seat and couldn't move. Eventually, he put his phone down and called me over.
"Susan, Why don't you come over here so we can talk and get to know each other better?" he said. 
He was sitting at a seat that was similar to a diner's table, with one chair on each side of a small table.  I went over to him obediently, not wanting to upset him on the first day of our journey.
"So how is your Grandmother doing, Well?" He said.
"Yeah, I haven't been in touch with her as often as I'd like to admit," I said.
"Is she still working for F.L.A.G.?" He asked.
"Not really, she retired, but she does still come by for routine maintenance on our computers," I said.
"Her and those computers.." He started. "She has always loved those things, but more than anything, I think she loved Kitt the most. He was like her baby, and she took care of him."
"What makes you say that?" I asked.
"Because she always scolded and blamed things on me when Kitt had some things unaligned." He said.
"I can see her doing that," I said.
"She would say things like," What has that monkey done to you today?" to Kitt, and he would follow along just trying to get me in trouble." He said.
"Do you miss Kitt?" I asked.
"I miss him more than anything Susan. He was my best friend. He was always there to comfort and cheer me up when I wasn't feeling the best. Not to mention, if it wasn't for him, I would have died many years ago." He said, his voice got quieter like he was about to cry, but I could tell he was tough, he wasn't about to break down in front of me, he would wait til I leave, or at least, that's the character he had set for himself so far.
"Do you miss Bonnie too?" I asked.
"I don't have much of a reason too, ever since Devon died, we started texting each other more and more often I had just texted her not too long ago." He said.
"You didn't tell her that we were off to find Kitt, did you?" I said.
"Of course, I didn't, if she had found out that I went to look for him, with you of all people, she would gut me clean." He exaggerated.
I laughed a little at that. I could tell Micheal was a pretty humorous fellow, but he also cared deeply about his friends and family.
"The Foundation was like a second family to me." He said, his eyes looking like he was having deja-vu of his time working at F.L.A.G. "Kitt was like that one nerdy friend that everyone has, and picks on, but he always looked out for everyone, Bonnie was like a sister to me, and Devon was like another father."
"I don't think I will be able to understand you and Kitt's relationship until I meet him," I said. I didn't fully understand what he meant by saying that Kitt was only a friend to him when Bonnie and Devon were like a family.
"Didn't you talk to the 3000 before he went crazy? Micheal asked.
"I did, but he is nothing like how you describe Kitt. He talked all robotic, and wouldn't do anything unless commanded. But then again, he wasn't created by Bonnie, so he didn't have the same program to run." I said.
"You mentioned that he malfunctioned, what happened?" He said.
"We don't know, he was just chilling in the garage, then boom, he went insane, he was speaking of all this crazy talk, like, "You betrayed me, I will demolish you." Even though nobody had said anything to him." I explained.
"Did he have a virus?"
"He couldn't have, he had the finest virus-protecting software available, so there was absolutely no way," I said. 
We both sat silent for a second.
"Do you think he might have decided that you were taking advantage of him?" Micheal asked.
"Potentially, what makes you say that?" I asked him.
"Way back when, Kitt had a Prototype, His name was K.A.R.R. Not C.A.R.  K.A.R.R. It stood for Knight Automated Roving Robot. However, there was one fatal flaw with his code. You know how Kitt's main code is to preserve human life?" He started.
"Yeah," I said.
"His was self-preservation. Meaning, he didn't care about anyone but himself, kind of like someone else I know.."
"So you're telling me, Karr decided that you were taking advantage of him and went... Loco?" I said.
"Precisely, someone accidentally let him out and it was an absolute train wreck, but Kitt and I sorted it out." He said.
"You take pride in what you did for the foundation, don't you?"
"Should I not? I thought what I did was cool." He said cockily.
"I wish the foundation was like how it was.." I said.
"But it's a lot bigger now, isn't it?" He asked.
"Yes, and that's why I don't like it. I spend most of my time in an office checking analytics, and if something seems wrong, I have to print it out and let someone else deal with it, it's boring." I explained.
"You don't have any detectives?" He asked.
"We have three," I said.
He nodded.
He opened a drawer from under his seat and pulled out a game of Scrabble.
"Wanna play?" He asked.
I nodded. Scrabble was one of my favorite games ever. I always played it with my Grandmother whenever I would go to her house. Maybe it is just a Foundation thing.
We played for about 2 hours, we played two rounds. I won both.
"You're worse than Kitt," Micheal exclaimed the second time he lost.
"Did you and Kitt always play Scrabble together?" I asked.
"Not quite, we always played verbal word games." He said.
"Like what?" I said.
"Catagories, but we played so our answers had to have a certain amount of characters, vowels, and syllables. Guess who came up with that." Micheal said.
Just then, we heard the pilot speak on the intercom.
"We will be landing soon, so please go back to your seats and buckle up." He said.
I shuffled across the plane and took my original spot.
We landed not too long after that. Micheal had already had plans for a rental car to be waiting for us at the airport.