Author's Notes/Memes

okay, so- wow

okay, so- wow. i don't know what to say except for that i am really sad that it's over. but i'm also really happy it's over. does that make sense??

i literally owe it all to you guys for sticking around!! i am so, so grateful for each and every vote and comment, just all the support in general. whenever i wasn't super confident about my writing or elisa's story, the comments would always make me feel better. just thank you to the readers who were just . . . so cool. idk y'all are really cool and i'm lowkey jealous.

royal cries went through a lot of stages (shoutout to the people who remember it as crooked crown- you guys are like ogs). it was always going to start in ttc with nico and bianca at westover but elisa was going to be a daughter of hecate (there are a bunch of reasons why i changed her from being a daughter of hecate- mainly because i didn't feel confident enough to write her using magic at the time) but i ultimately wanted to change that. after i decided on changing that, i was at a loss of who her godly parent should be and then i thought 'why not make her a daughter of dionysus.' i like his character in the books and for the most part, he had a role to play in ttc that i thought would be fun to explore.

and then everything just worked out from that point.

and now i'm going to begin by blabbering about my ocs and canon characters.

elisa is first, obviously. she literally started this whole thing. we love her, don't we? sure she has her flaws (and a lot of them), but she is a good person underneath it all. that was the underlying message i wanted to give throughout this whole story. and maybe that's obvious, but i think it's an important message. i was worried (especially in the first act) about her falling into the 'spicy latina' trope because she can be a little . . . catty, and that is just a harmful, dangerous, incorrect stereotype at the end of the day. so i've always tried for her to seem more than that because she is. from the get-go, i gave elisa scenes where she broke that mold because it is a harmful stereotype that should not be played into. (if you understand what i'm trying to say??)

i don't want to say she's my best oc . . . but she's my best oc. she's brave, smart- ahem, catty- and will always protect the people she loves. she may have her doubts (especially about herself and the gods) but she means well. she's not perfect but she was never meant to be perfect. she was always meant to be flawed, doing not-so-perfect things because she's a kid out in a really shitty situation.

anyways, here we are now. elisa mother fucking bardales (fun fact; her middle name is carmela) as we know and love her. she had a fuck-load of character development (some of it unplanned on my part- like with drew tanaka and such). she was a major bitch in the beginning- thanks to a bunch of trauma- but she broke that stereotype and became so much more than that.