006.

ROYAL CRIES
━━ chapter six

━━ THE QUESTERS FINALLY stopped in a room full of waterfalls. The floor was one big pit, ringed by a slippery stone walkway. Around them, on all four walls, water tumbled from huge pipes. The water spilled down into the pit, and even when Elisa shined a flashlight, she couldn't see the bottom.

               Briares slumped against the wall. He scooped up water in a dozen hands and doused his face. "This pit goes to Tartarus," he murmured. "I should jump in and save you trouble."

               "Don't talk that way," Annabeth chided him. "You can come back to camp with us. You can help us prepare. You know more about fighting Titans than anybody."

               "I have nothing to offer," said Briares. "I have lost everything."

               "What about your brothers?" Tyson asked. "The other two must still stand tall as mountains! We can take you to them."

               Briares's expression morphed to something even sadder: his grieving face. "They are no more. They faded."

               The waterfalls thundered around them. Tyson stared into the pit and blinked tears out of his eye.

               "What exactly do you mean, they faded?" Percy asked. "I thought monsters were immortal, like the gods."

               "Percy," Grover said weakly. "Even immortality has limits. Sometimes ... sometimes monsters get forgotten and they lose their will to stay immortal."

               Looking at Grover's face, Elisa had to wonder if he was thinking about Pan. Last winter, Apollo said something about Helios and Selene disappearing, leaving him and his twin with the duties of the sun and moon respectively. Elisa knew it had to be awful to be immortal; being alive for so longthousands upon thousands of years oldand totally alone.

               "I must go," said Briares.

               "Kronos's army will invade Camp," Tyson blurted. "We need help."

               "And a lot of it," Elisa added darkly. Percy looked at her for a brief moment, knowing what she meant. She had seen Kronos's army growing, even had been a part of it for a time, she would know how many he had on his side. ( Only many more now, with every day passing and people losing faith in their godly parents. )

               Briares hung his head. "I cannot, Cyclops."

               "You are strong," Tyson insisted. He sounded desperate.

               "Not anymore." Briares stood.

               "Hey," Percy said, grabbing the Hundred-Handed One by a single arm. He took Briares where the roar of the water would mask their words. Elisa stood by, watching them silently. Percy looked as desperate as Tyson sounded, but he still wasn't convincing Briares. Elisa could see his face morph to shame before he turned and trudged down the corridor until he was lost in the shadows.

               Tyson started sobbing; loud bellows heard even over the sound of the roaring water. Percy made his way over.

               "What'd you tell him?" Elisa asked.

               Percy was watching his brother. "Everything," he admitted. "Luke's plans, the Labyrinth entrance at camp, Daedalus's workshop, Kronos's golden coffin."