010.

ROYAL CRIES
━━ chapter ten

━━ PERCY JACKSON WAS explaining to Elisa the dangers of a flying horse to her in the daytime as if Elisa didn't already understand the dangers of using a flying horse during the daytime. It was almost like he expected not to use her brain just as much as he didn't. It was insulting, honestly, but Elisa figured to just let him talk, tuning him out by looking at the expansive city below them.

It hadn't been the first time Elisa had been through New York City. Back in October was the latest time in the city before she was eventually attacked by the empousa again. She pulled her jacket around her tighter, wishing she had on a long-sleeve shirt instead of one of Callum's old T-shirts and an old pair of jeans.

She looked over Blackjack and to the city below; traffic was bad, even for New York City. The bad traffic had to be from the holidays coming around the corner. People had to be shopping at the last minute for gifts for loved ones.

"Thing is, Elisa, it's broad daytime," Percy said, looking back at her briefly from over his shoulder. Elisa rolled her eyes for the third time the explanation. "We could cause some serious traffic accidents on the Long Island Expressway if we're not careful. Luckily, though, the clouds are lower to the ground in the winter. If Blackjack"

"If the flying horse stays in the clouds, we won't be spotted," Elisa interrupted him. "And that means we probably won't cause any 'serious traffic accidents on the Long Island Expressway.' I know, Fish Boy, you've told me two other times."

Elisa saw the back of Percy's neck turning red. "I was just making sure you heard me," he said, leading Blackjack higher into the clouds.

"I heard you the first time," said Elisa.

"Why didn't you respond to me?"

She shrugged, even though Percy wouldn't be able to know that. "Didn't feel like it."

Blackjack neighed and Percy huffed.

"You know what's weird?" Elisa said. "You talking to flying horses."

Blackjack made what Elisa assumed to be an angry flying horse noise.

Percy said, "He's a pegasus, not a flying horse, Elisa."

"Same thing, isn't it?"

"No, it's not." Percy shook his head. "Hey! Lookthe van! I knew they would go to Manhattan first."

Elisa looked past him, looking in the direction Percy was pointing. The white van was dodging and weaving through traffic. It was bad enough that it made Elisa car sick to even think about being in the car.

"Why's that?" she asked.

"If we have to head west, going through Manhattan is a pretty good way to head west," said Percy. "We're gonna land here at the Crysler Building," he said, leading Blackjack to the edge of the building. "If I'm right, they're gonna stop at the bus stop. That's where Argus dropped us off on my first quest."

"You've been on other quests?" Elisa asked. "How young were you? You look like your twelve."

Elisa knew that if Percy could turn around enough, he would've glared at her better. "I don't look twelve!" he insisted. "I'm fourteen."

"Ohclose enough, isn't it?" Elisa rolled her eyes. "Honestly, it's only"

"Wait, Elisa," Percy interrupted her. "They're not stopping. Where's Argus taking them?"