005.

ROYAL CRIES
━━ chapter five

━━ THERE WAS SOMETHING almost relieving to finally be in the place Elisa had given everything for. In the back of her mind, for two years, was the fear she would never make it, or if she had, it wouldn't be what she needed; a home, a place to learn how to live and not just survive.

               Elisa couldn't tell if it was the relief or if it was some godly intervention, but Camp Half-Blood looked magical. There was snow falling lightly, frost-covered what looked to be a chariot track, and some strawberry fields. The buildings shaped in an U were decorated with tiny, flickering lights, but the lights seemed to be balls of real fire. More lights glowed in the forest, and fire seemed to be flickering in the attic of a white building.

               "Whoa," Nico gasped as he climbed off the bus after Elisa. "Is that a climbing wall?"

               "Yeah," said Percy.

               "And there's lava pouring down it," Elisa noticed the obvious.

               Percy nodded. "Yeah, a little extra challenge for the people who've been here a while. Come on. I'll introduce you to Chiron. Zoë, have you met"

               "I know Chiron," Zoë said stiffly. "Tell him we will be in Cabin Eight. Hunters, follow me."

               "I'll show you the way," Grover offered eagerly.

               "We know the way."

               "Oh, really, it's no trouble. It's easy to get lost here if you don't" Grover tripped over a canoe and stood up still talking"like my old daddy goat used to say! Come on!"

               Zoë rolled her eyes, but Elisa guessed the Hunteress had no way to get rid of Grover. The Hunters shouldered their packs and their bows and headed off toward the buildings shaped in a U. As Bianca was leaving, she leaned over to whisper something in Nico's ear. She looked at him for an answer, but he just scowled and turned away. Bianca frowned, turning to Elisa.

               "See you later, Elisa," Bianca said, waving and hurrying after the other Hunters.

               "Take care, sweethearts!" Apollo called after the Hunters. He winked at Percy. "Watch out for those prophecies, Percy. I'll see you soon."

               "What do you mean?" Percy asked.

               Apollo didn't answer him, and instead, he hopped back inside the bus. "Later, Thalia," he called. "And, uh, be good! Ohand Elisabet, don't be too mad."

               The sun god gave the two girls a wicked smile, as if he knew something they didn't. Then, Apollo close the doors and revved the engine. Elisa turned her head as the sun chariot took off in a blast of heat. When she looked back, the lake was steaming. A red Maserati soared over the woods, glowing brighter and climbing higher until it disappeared in a ray of sunlight.

               Nico was still frowning as he watched the car. Elisa wondered what Bianca had whispered to him.

               "Nico" she started to say.

               "He called you Elisabet," the boy noticed. "Why not Elisa?"

               "Elisabet is my real name, I just go by Elisa," she told Nico.

               "Then who's Chiron?" Nico asked. "I don't have his figurine."

               "Our activities director," Percy said. "He's ... Well, you'll see."