Prologue

The skies split themselves from the thunderous lights across the horizon. A hard rain fell from the skies and clung to the young girl's robe and the small child tightly wrapped around with a blanket.

The boat heaved up and down, and the young woman's stomach lurched each time it crested a wave. She tightened her grip on the sails to steady herself against the unrelenting motion of the sea.

The baby's wails echoed through her ears, almost drowning out the crackling lights, the only light source in her dark hour. She rocked the child back and forth to comfort it, but the cries persisted. The young woman kept repeating the action, whispering soothing words to block out the thunder from the child's ear.

Her efforts were fruitless.

She lifted her gaze, glancing around the endless pit of the seas. Her heart dropped at the sight of it. All that surrounded her were the seas, its waves slapped the boat wavering her balance, and her legs wobbled. Gently, she dropped her weight on the sails. As the child in her arms continued to cry, she leaned against the sails for support. Her mind played back like a record, her memories flashing, picturing the people that care for her.

Picturing his face.

She shut her eyes. The rain kissed every part of her, not leaving a single part of her body wet. The whimpering child became her only source of warmth she had. She brought them closer to her chest, gently caressing the child's chubby cheeks as it kept crying. Her gaze lingered as her fingers traced the child's nose, eyes and ears. The child hiccuped, throat dry from its cries and eyes red from the distress. Slowly, the child opened its eyes, surveying its caregiver. The young girl's vision brimmed with tears at the sight of her infant.

The child had his eyes.

The skies kept ripping apart. Lightning lit up the horizon once more, and the booms of the thunder startled the baby, starting over its wails. The young woman's gaze lifted to the dark horizon above. The raindrops graced her face, as she inhaled the salty aroma that filled the air. Again, she repeated the same action.

Slowly, rocking the child back and forth to soothe its cries and protect it from nature's wrath.

"Don't worry", the young girl whispered to the infant, caressing its face as she whipped away its stained face.

She reminisced about her moments with him as her gaze lingered on the small infant in her arms. She hugged the child, slowly ensuring she didn't crush it from her tight embrace. She held on to the infant, fearing that if she didn't hold the child close, it would disappear.

Just like he did.

She hardened her gaze toward the skies as if she was challenging it. Daring it to cause more harm to them than it already has. She closed her eyes and inhaled the atmosphere surrounding her, drowning the roaring waves and thunder. Her eyes began to glow a blue hue.

Salt...All she could pick up was salt.

She focused and concentrated on the potential aroma that could locate an island.

Salt...That's all she could detect.

The young girl wanted to scream in frustration, crying to the heavens. Hoping, someone would hear and come to her aid. However, she knew that wasn't possible.

The storm kept raging on, drowning out her frustration. Her gaze went back to the infant in her arms. Her heart dropped at the sight of the silence. It's like her world stopped spinning at the child's unresponsive nature, no longer experiencing the touch of the raindrops or the wrath of the waves.

She lifted a finger towards the infant's nose just momentarily. Relief washed over her like the waves hitting stones as a brush of oxygen tickled her finger. Its stomach engulfed air, up and down, indicating that life remained in the child. A small snore escaped the baby's lips.