Chapter One. First time for everything

Start from the beginning

Santa turned back to the two. "How about instead of Santa, you can stay here and help Buddy run the place? That way you can learn how to be a head elf someday, when I'm delivering gifts." He said to his son. "Yes, and you can help me with the toy orders." Jessica added "But I'm only half elf!" Bernard reminded. "Yeah, south pole ones!" Poinsettia added as if their father forgot that he married a south pole elf, which is why they and their mother were taller than the other elves at the north pole, Santa laughed. "That may be true, and I know it's a big job. but I think you can handle it." He leaned forward, getting closer to his son. "don't you?" 'Yes father!" the 11-year-old smiled. He smiled back. "But what about me?" Poinsettia said. Her father's smile disappeared, because she sounded upset. "For now, I think it would be for the best. If your brother was just head elf." Santa felt bad that she couldn't have the job because she's unorganized, also a little on the lazy side, and the head elf position requires a good organizer, and someone who will get the job done when it needs to be. "Okay." She smiled. He kissed them on their heads, then he went to his bedroom for a nap, knowing that the pole would be in good hands.

Bernard and Poinsettia went outside to join the other elf children for a snowball fight. "I wanna be head elf!
Curtis wined as soon as Poinsettia told him the news. Bernard looked down at the elf wearing glasses. "Well, you can't. because Santa picked me to do it." he bragged with a cocky smile, his sister gasped. "Bernard That's naughty!" "So what?" he turned to her. "Curtis will never be head elf, because he's dumber than a stocking full of coal!" a tear rolled down Curtis's cheek. "I'm telling!" Poinsettia ran off to tell her father, though he already knew. Bernard chased after her, not wanting to get in trouble.

"Father!" she called running into his office where he was checking his list, and Mrs. Claus was sitting by the fire, looking over the toy orders. Her parents looked up. "What is it, Sugar Plum?" Santa asked. "Bernard's being naughty!" Poinsettia answered. Santa's eyebrows went down just as his son entered the room. "Bernard Kris Claus." He looked down knowing that he wouldn't be able to talk himself out of this. Not that you could talk yourself out of trouble when it's Santa Claus. "Your sister said that you were being a bad boy." Santa set the list down, stood up and went up to his son. "Yes...I'm sorry, but father! Curtis wants to be head elf, but he's not ready!" Mr. Claus placed his hand on the elf's shoulder. "Not now, but maybe someday." Bernard looked up. "What do you mean?" "He's younger than you, so he looks up to you. Which is why I want you to show him how to be a great head elf, someday." Santa leaned down to be eye level. "Can you do that for me?" Bernard nodded. "Good." The jolly old man said standing up straight and headed back over to his desk. "Now go and apologize to Curtis." Santa Claus sat down again. "Before you're on the naughty list." He didn't want to put his own son on the naughty list, or use it as a way to get his children to behave. because it wasn't like him, and not how Christmas should be. Bernard turned to his sister. "Tattle Deer." He whispered then went off to find Curtis.