05| It's my fault

Start from the beginning

"Thank goodness! It's the final lecture now. I'm absolutely exhausted," Arushi commented as we both stepped into the literature class.

I scanned the room for an empty seat and my eyes landed on the last person I expected to see: Adwait Scindia. 

His name had a certain gravity to it, much like his presence, and I had zero interest in getting pulled into that vortex. I noticed his friend sitting next to him, and the conclusion was clear: we were in the same course. 

Another complication added to the ever-growing mess of my life.

"What happened?" Arushi's voice pulled my attention away from Adwait and back to her.

"Look, over there," I discreetly signaled her with my eyes.

She heaved a sigh, her eyes filled with understanding. "It's fine, Nitya. You don't have to be so nervous around him. He won't bite," she chuckled, gently patting my shoulder.

She was right. I had been overthinking everything, creating unnecessary nervousness around him. Sure, our first encounter had stuck with me, but dwelling on it wasn't doing me any favors. There was really no reason to be nervous.

The professor strolled in, and I did a quick scan for an open spot. Of course, my luck was in the dumps because the only seats left were right in front of Adwait. Reluctantly, I plopped down there.

The professor started the lecture, providing an introduction to the course. I attentively listened and jotted down the notes.

Still, having him right behind me was seriously annoying. I could sense his eyes on me every now and then, and I couldn't shake off the fact that his mere presence was giving me major goosebumps. It was a total distraction, making it a real struggle to concentrate on the lecture.

Oh, God! How would I face him for the entire semester? It seemed like Literature wouldn't be as enjoyable as I had first imagined it to be.

As soon as the lecture concluded, Arushi whisked me away to the cafeteria and ordered herself some soft drinks.

"Now that the day's done, how about we go out somewhere? A café, maybe? Or perhaps a stroll through the market?" She proposed, taking a leisurely sip from her can of juice.

"I can't, Aru," I murmured with sadness. Her gaze snapped to mine. "You know how it is with my parents. Roaming the streets, indulging in luxury hangouts—it's just not the norm in our family."

She rolled her eyes. "Screw this crappy norm," she spat out. "You're coming with me. Don't let these ridiculous rules spoil your chance for some fun. It's not like you're committing a crime. And besides, nobody's going to rat you out to your parents, and honestly, I don't think there's a need to. You're your own person, damn it." She tossed the can into the nearby disposal and linked her arm with mine. "Let's get going. We'll take my car."

I resigned myself to her demand and followed along. 

Deep down, I guess I craved the same freedom as any other girl my age. At first, I shoved those thoughts aside, drowning them in a sea of responsibility and duty. But ever since I met Aru, those desires erupted like molten lava, unstoppable and all-consuming.

We reached the parking lot, and I settled into the passenger seat while Aru took her place behind the wheel. Twisting the key, she ignited the engine, and soon we were cruising down the open road. 

I remained silent, content to soak in the passing scenery outside the window. The evening was just beginning, casting a gentle glow over the landscape, and the weather, thankfully, was not too oppressive.