Chapter 4

'I want to break up my engagement with you.'

What I heard a few hours ago lingered in my ears.

Verndia frowned, as he was looking out of the window of the carriage at the city.

"The conversation didn't go well, I supposed."

Recognizing that the Master was not feeling well, the aide, Isolet, asked cautiously.

He appeared unwell, the moment he went out of Silkisia's Residence.

I didn't know that this kind of feeling would last this long.

I was just trying to grab a straw of hope.

He and Verndia knew that Yzhar would not accept the request to persuade the emperor. His visit that was not expected at all.

Verndia's lips parted without looking away from the window.

"Isolet."

"Yes."

"What's the benefit of a princess if she breaks off her engagement?"

"Uh..."

Indeed, it was a random question.

However, Isolet embarrassment did not last long. He quickly shook his head.

If so, these would be the benefit of Psychke Silkisia from the breakup.

...... Is there a thing like that?

"I don't know about that, Duke. May I ask why are you suddenly asking that?"

"The princess has demanded me to break out marriage."

"What?!"

Isolet's mouth opened wide at the shocking news. He knew how Psychke was obsessed with Verndia.

He poked his ears to know if he had possibly heard it wrong.

"It's not only that. She said that she would willingly help me in dealing with the monsters. To be precise, she said, 'I'll help you, so in return, let's break off our engagement right after.'"

"Do you dislike the Princess that much?"

Isolet was guessing that he had bothered Verndia so much, that Psychke finally tried to escape after taking off the crane.

Verndia briefly glared at him and turned his eyes outward.

"You know that I am not a kind of person to ask for a breakup for that reason, don't you?"

"No, it is, but Prince Yzhar didn't say anything on that matter?"

"It's..."

'Please keep it a secret that I made this offer. Especially to the people of my family. '

It was only then that I remembered she asked me to keep our upcoming breakup a secret.

He was stabbed on the inside, but he didn't show it on the outside. Anyway, Isolet wasn't stupid enough to go anywhere and reveal it without thinking.

"... It seems like the princess personally suggested it."

"What?"

Isolet breathed in vain as if he was exhausted. Then he snapped his fingers, as if something came to his mind.

"Isn't it because of that rumor?"

"What do you mean rumors?"

"What do you mean why, Duke? Rumors that the real Princess Lillian has returned."