NOT MY DEMON

written by EmilyMorgans

This is not right.

I stare at the creature in front of me before looking down at the old leather-bound book in my lap. This is definitely not right. The demon I meant to summon is a large, powerful Guardian with protruding horns and a minotaur-esque body covered in green scales. My eyes drift back to what has just appeared in my lounge. This is not that.

The demon before me looks much more human, even if his eyes are pitch black and his skin has a purple-ish tint. Tall and broad-shouldered with a firm jaw and high cheekbones, he reminds me much more of a male model than the demon I had planned to summon. The only thing they have in common is the horns. They protrude from his black wavy hair and curl backwards, similar to the horns of a ram.

I'm not sure if I should be relieved or worried about the fact that he looks about as stunned and confused as I feel. His black eyes dart around the room as he's trying to take it all in before they finally fasten on me. I swallow painfully. For a demon, he's ridiculously handsome. No, not true. He's ridiculously handsome by human standards, too. What have I brought into the human realm?

The way his gaze travel over my body makes my skin heat, and I suddenly wish I was wearing more. Or less. I'm not sure. This is not what I planned. As if he's sensing my reaction to him, a lazy smile spreads over the demon's face.

"I am not usually summoned in this manner," he says, his dark voice low and amused. "Usually, I only visit the human realm in dreams, but this is a delightful change of pace. You must be quite powerful to pull me across the veil."

My cheeks heat at the compliment before I remember that I didn't mean to summon him at all. I clear my throat. "Well," I say as I stand. I don't really want to be sitting on the floor staring up at him, but even on my feet he's a good head taller than I am. "There seems to have been a mistake."

He raises a crooked eyebrow. "A mistake? Did you not wish for fulfilment?"

"Fulfilment?" What did that even mean? "No, I meant to summon a Guardian." I hesitate for a moment before asking, despite being quite certain of the answer, "You're not a Guardian, are you?"

A quiet laugh escapes him. "A Guardian? No." He's still chuckling. "I am an Incubus."

"A... An Incubus?" How the fuck did I get it so wrong? I pick the summoning book up and skim through the ritual I had just done. Everything sounds correct. I did exactly as it says. Rifling through the book, I find the page on summoning an Incubus. I nearly choke when I find it.

'Don't.'

That's the only instruction. Don't.

With a frustrated groan, I toss the book on the couch. I needed a Guardian, not a goddamn pleasure demon. I glance at the clock hanging above my electrical fireplace. A few minutes past midnight. It's Valentine's Day. I don't have time for this. Today is the day. Fuck! Pushing the worry away, I focus on the issue at hand. There's no point ignoring the demon in the room, especially as he's watching me with eyes glinting with curiosity.

"I'm sorry for bothering you." I make a vague move with my hand. "You may return to your realm."

"No."

My eyes narrow. "What do you mean 'no'? I have no use for you. What I need is a Guardian, and I can only summon one demon at a time. Those are the rules."

He smirks, and it rankles me more than it probably should. "Indeed. But you have brought me to this realm and I cannot return until I fulfil my task."

"Oh." Is it hot in here, or is it just me? His black eyes are travelling over my body again, taking in the faded t-shirt that is now more grey than black and the jogging bottoms that are more comfortable than sexy. I wasn't exactly concerned about my looks when I decided to summon a Guardian demon. My fingers shake slightly as I tuck an errant lock of henna-dyed hair behind my ear. It must have come loose from the bun at the top of my head.