Chapter 8: Butterflies Freedom

Chapter 8
Butterflies Freedom

Aponichepi is dead. I think to myself shocked. I barely aware of the two bundles in my arms. I squeeze too hard and the little girl shrieks unhappily. I look at her and notice she has the same black hair and probably blue eyes as her mother. "You're Ayranova," I whisper to myself. Then I look at the boy. He's awake and staring right back. He does have blue eyes and black hair like his mother but his face is different. He must look like his father. "You're Illmarisuoh," I tell him and he smiles.

"Lexi! We've got to go! The police are here!" Ryumakani says from the door.

I look at the butterflies around me, "Follow me. Call everyone. We're leaving." I command them and jump down. I look back at Aponichepi's body and head for the exit. Behind me I hear all the butterflies coming out of the woodwork.

"Where'd the babies come from and where's Aponichi?" Ryumakani asks.

Tears prick at my eyes, "They're Aponichepi's. She's not coming." I tell him.

He looks sad but takes the girl, "We have to go." He says and we run out. Outside in the parking lot are fire trucks and police cars. Moments later the ambulances arrive.

Dr. Taven was arrested for illegal expierments on children as well as several of his employees. The butterflies and dragonflies were questioned but that didn't turn up much. Paramedics took Aponichepi's children for a check up. Despite Ayranova being premature by a month they're both healthy.

"You're Ryu, right?" A little girl with pink hair asked Ryumakani.

"Yeah," he replies.

A little girl with purple hair joins the pink one, "Congradulations on being a father!" They say happily.

Ryumakani looks confused, "Huh?" He looks at me then the babies then the children then me again, "What?"

"The DNA sample Dr. Taven took six months ago." I realize. I look at Illmarisuoh's face and Ryumakani's and laugh, "He looks just like you."

"It's not funny Lexi. I'm sixteen! I can't raise them! I haven't even graduated middle school!" He says holding Ayranova up.

"I'm their god mother. I'm sixteen to. I can't raise them either." I realize seriously. We gave each other a 'now what' look.

"The butterflies can raise them!" The pink haired girl says.

I think back to Aponichepi's last words, "No. Lets put them up for adoption. It's what Aponichepi wanted." Ryumakani agrees.

The butterflies and dragonflies were released into the world to go free and where ever they so desired. Some went to go find their families and others to places much further away. Some went to live in the great African rainforests and others to live along the coast. Ryumakani and I went home. Pretty much everything I know I learned after the fact because I cocooned a week later to regrow my wings.

The knowledge of our existance spread and became public. Theme parks and tourist attractions were built. Activist groups popped up in our defense and against us.

A few months later though a few butterflies started dying mysteriously every week. It was then found out how incredibly frail we are. Dragonflies had a better immune system but eventually they too started falling ill. It was a race against time to build a giant glass building with the right plants and flowers and sterile enviroment to save them. Dr. Taven was brought out of jail and put on probation for just that purpose. They were then herded in. Butterflies and dragonflies stopped dying.

We couldn't live in the outside world. We were too frail. Ryumakani was also forced back into the enviroment. I too was brought to it when I hatched out.

We complained about being in captivity again and in response scientists started to research making our immune systems stronger.

As for Ayranova and Illmarisuoh, Ryumakani dropped them off at a human hospital. A young couple fell in love with them and brought them home. So at the very least they got to be free until they turned twelve and cocooned then were brought here at sixteen.

"How do you think they're doing?" I yawned. Ryumakani and I are laying out under the glass roof watching the meteor shower.

"I think they're fine." He replied tiredly with his eyes closed. His breathing deepened as he fell asleep.

I keep looking up for awhile longer. I close my eyes as my vision starts to blur. Before falling asleep I think of Aponichepi. I wonder where she is right now.

Amongst my tangled dreams I see a sad little girl with blonde hair and blue eyes. She's alone in her room crying. Through her window a luna moth flutters in and makes her smile. On the girl's back I see a pair of large luna moth wings materialize and fade away.

She looks in my general direction as the moth flies over to me. The child disapears but the luna moth remains, glowing in the dark. In a burst of sparkling light the moth transforms into a blue and purple butterfly before flying away.

"So that's where you went." I whisper as the sparkling bug disapears in the distance. "I hope we meet again one day!" I call to it.