Chapter 136: manipulation

Start from the beginning

"At that point I had already changed my mind." I admit. "Because I thought you hated me anyways."

"Sammy. Of course I don't hate you." He says. "I'm sorry for being such an asshole. I'm so sorry. I'm just so, so angry. I was so scared to lose you and then you were so angry and I don't know. I'm sorry."

"Just- just punch me in the face or something if I ever don't listen again." He says.

I chuckle. "Alright. You just gave me the permission."

"Sammy. Carla and me breaking up has nothing to do with you, alright?" He tells me.

"Do you wanna talk about what happened?" I ask him.

He sighs. "I met up with my ex on sunday."

"Oh. To do what?" I ask him.

"Talk. Just talk." He tells me. "But Carla got the wrong impression. She came to the garage to surprise me and saw us and left on the spot."

"Uhm, so you certainly didn't meet Mary which means your ex is-?" I ask him unsure.

"Kay. We dated last summer for two months. But they're still a good friend." He explains.

That non-binary person.

"And Carla doesn't believe you?" I ask him.

"No, she went full on crazy. She was furious and didn't believe me a single word." He says. "I- I wanted to talk to her and she keeps saying I don't respect her opinions although I do, I just-"

"I mean- I could try talking to her." I suggest.

"No!" He says instantly. "I'm meeting up with her tomorrow and I'm gonna convince her of the truth!" He says determined.

"The truth being?" I ask him.

"That I met up with Kay to show them my freaking car and to talk because I wanted advice. That's it." He explains.

"Well, maybe you can ask Kay to talk to Carla?" I suggest.

"No way. She's gonna freak out." He says.

"Oh come on. Carla? She always keeps her cool." I say.

"You haven't seen jealous Carla. Man. She turns into a beast." He says, a slight smile on his face. "She's so perfect. God, I can't lose her."

"You won't. If it's really just a misunderstanding you're gonna get it out of the way." I try to convince him.

He nods. "Thanks. I guess that's true."

I smile at him. "Cheer up a little and buy a bunch of roses or something."

"Carla hates roses and she thinks men only buy roses when they cheat and feel bad about it." He says.

"Well fuck, don't buy roses then." I say wide eyed.

Caleb starts laughing. "I'll never buy her roses again. I did once and she got super angry and paranoid. For her birthday I'm gonna buy her orchids. That is if she takes me back."

I roll my eyes. "Right. Miss orchid queen who gets along with those stupid plants." I say, full of envy.

"Let's eat breakfast." He says and walks downstairs where he prepares himself a protein and creatine shake because apparently that's what he drinks two to three times a day because he suddenly wants to look like Arnold Schwarzenegger.

_____

"Are you excited for school?" Mom asks me.

I snort. "Well, it's not like I only missed two school days." I say with a roll of my eyes.