Chapter 22: Like good old times

High as a kite. That's what I am. The smile is plastered on my face permanently and everything that Kevin says sounds like the funniest thing ever. We come up with the craziest conspiracies. I know that the things we are so sure about would sound like total bullshit tomorrow, but right now they make sense.

"But, the roundabouts have to go the other direction in countries where they're driving on the other side of the street." Kevin says.

"Yeah, that makes sense, but what if not? How would they work?" I ask him.

"I have no idea."

"Do you think when we die, we get a list of how many times we have turned our body since we were born? Like I'm sure there would be lots more turns in the direction of roundabouts. And what if they make you spin back to get into heaven." I say to Kevin.

"Woah, that would be crazy. I'd give you a million bucks right now if I had them, just because this was the most relatable idea I've ever heard." He answers me.

My eyelids feel really heavy as I'm lying on Kev's floor, staring up at the ceiling.

I miss Austin. I just realized it. I miss him. I wanna see him.

"I'm gonna text my girlfriend." I say, giggling. Proud of how easy the lie rolls off my tongue.

"Okay, but nothing stupid." Kevin warns me. He's sitting right next to me.

"Okay, what do I say?" I ask Kevin. "Aus- Anna is at work right now." Almost slipped up. He didn't notice.

"Maybe don't text her then." He suggests, frowning weirdly.

"Why not?" I ask and open the chat to Austin.

He texted me. I sit up, thinking that this would help me focus on reading the message.

"Are you already at your friend's house? Are you okay?" He asks. He's so cute.

I'm gonna reply with a picture, that's easier.

"How do I look good in a picture?" I ask Kevin while I look at my face on the screen.

"Hey, let me in the pic, too." He says and shuffles over to me. "No, hang on." He says and jumps up.

He poses with his ass towards the camera while I smile goofily into the camera. I snap the picture and send it.

"Nice." I say.

"You have to delete it!" Kevin screams all of a sudden.

"What?" I ask him anxiously.

He gives me a sly smile. "My booty is so good. Your girl's gonna want me instead. Girls just can't say no to this creation." He says, wiggling his butt.

"Only girls? I guess that won't be a concern then." I say, laughing.

I done fucked up. Like how fucking stupid can a person be?

"Huh?" He asks me.

But I got an ace up my sleeve. "Uhm, she's eighteen, which makes her a woman." I say. "Technically. You get it? Haha."

Kevin rolls his eyes. "Woah I thought you're telling me Anna is a guy for a moment." He says.

I laugh nervously. "What?" I ask him in a high pitched voice.

I bite the inside of my cheek. I should stop talking about Austin. I should stop thinking of him completely for tonight.

Damn it. I gotta sound a little more convincing.

"What? Are you crazy?" I ask him, laughing. Fuck me. I'm so stupid. God I hate it. I hate my stupid clumsy mouth and my confused brain cells.

He holds up his arms in defense. "I don't know. It was just a thought."